Wet babies

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnClaire

Reaction score
OK folks, I have some good news for you. The doe DOES NOT pee on her babies.

What you see is the babies peeing after feeding. Think about it, what goes in must come out! And rabbits do not "potty" their babies like dogs and cats. When the bladder is full and a baby gets nudged, that bladder empties and it can cause a chain reaction through the nestmates. And, for such a small baby, they can generate an amazing amount of output LOL

Hopefully, folks will stop blaming/culling does in the mistaken belief that it is the doe causing this problem!

For the first week, there is no need to change out the bedding. The second week, when the babies are well furred, new bedding can be changed as the babies only need hay to keep warm.

Yes I know how much they can produce in the first week. I just recently got peed on lol. While I check in on them. As soon as I pick it up I must have push on the tummy a little and the bugger let go on me. I would say about a half to a full once atleast. :)

I have had a doe pee in the nextbox and it was WAY more than a litter makes on it's own. The problem was, this was a Rex doe and her hocks had gotten sore without my realizing it and she started hanging out in the box. I ended up losing all but 4 of that litter. The doe has raised litters before and since with no problems. She's normally a great mom and always has 10+. Does sometimes do actually pee on their litters.

alforddm":2rkencgl said:
I have had a doe pee in the nextbox and it was WAY more than a litter makes on it's own. The problem was, this was a Rex doe and her hocks had gotten sore without my realizing it and she started hanging out in the box. I ended up losing all but 4 of that litter. The doe has raised litters before and since with no problems. She's normally a great mom and always has 10+. Does sometimes do actually pee on their litters.

Thanks for the info. I would not of thought of this one.

Latest posts

Back