Well, that didn't work out

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
So, my wife's new cat is now gone
one of them started spraying, and I know that the older female *can*, but hers are in certain spots, AND only if the litterbox is inaccessible, or if she is feuding with another cat, then she sprays their spot.

Any who, one of the cats sprayed in the boys room (lesson, close doors when not using that room)
then my wife's spot on the couch... Not happy, both cats got their nose in it and told bad...
Next day, on the bed, Hmm
every time we left, cat piss on the bed
But there were two possible culprits

Taz screwed up, he did it again (at night with us sleep in the bed) with kyra out for the night.
now he is gone

I think this all started because of the dog, him and the other cat, had the usual new cat/old cat disagreements, but when it got cold and I brought the dog in, well, he has issues with dogs. I don't do spiteful, and I hate cat piss. Sad thing is, he was a great cat, maybe now he can find a single cat home with no dogs.

We had a cat we had too get rid of last year.he would sneak into the rabbitry hide and eat baby rabbits.

Rabbitry is in the rabbitry (purose built shed) and he wasn't let out side, that would end badly, not many things get my wife calling for blood, but if you hurt one of her babies, yeah, he would have been buried.

Was he neutered? You can't expect an un-neutered tom not to spray - it's their nature. Did you at least check him for a bladder infection? Animals aren't "spiteful" - they don't do things to deliberately piss us off. If a cat is peeing in inappropriate places, it's either a) sick, b) stressed (dog in the house? -that would be stressful to a cat that isn't used to it) or c) somebody needs to change the litter box!

Half Caper Farm":2hw92b04 said:
Was he neutered? You can't expect an un-neutered tom not to spray - it's their nature. Did you at least check him for a bladder infection? Animals aren't "spiteful" - they don't do things to deliberately piss us off.
I would have to respectfully disagree...maybe not spiteful and not to piss us off...but I have known and owned cats that will do things like that to show their displeasure. One cat of mine peed on the bed when I left for work without filling up his food bowl. :evil: (and yes, there was some food in it.) One of my friends cats, if she went out of town, he would poop in the bathtub. The litter box was right there and it was clean. I went over there everyday to clean it and feed/water the cats. So, I think they can do things like that deliberately, just not out of spite. JMHO ;)

Oh I agree, that cats can and will do things like that.

There are alot of reasons why they stop using a litter box, ie bladder infection, pain, illness, stress, dirty litter box, but that usually happens in a hidden corner. The peeing on the bed--that is pretty deliberate in my opinion--I have seen cats do stuff like that.

And peeing on the people in the bed--seriously, the cat knows you are there, and no creature likes to be peed on. There is no way that wasn't deliberate. I knew a cat that didn't like his owner to have a boyfriend--just sayin', he never peed on anyone else...

Oooooh yea, animals can be like that, especially the cats.

Thankfully our cat has yet to get mad at us. He's just really weird. Stealing my hair scrunchies and hiding them under the bed, attacking me through the shower curtain while I'm trying to pee, tearing open the box of crackers and eating ALL of them...

Yeah
No cat pee....
it's nice not to have to do the laundry

I have feather comforters, do you know how hard those are to wash, I have done over 15 loads of laundry in the last week,
so yeah, it's nice not to have to keep a spare set of linens for the bed.

Oh, and those feather comforters, take about 24 hours to go through the wash... most of it spent individually drying them, there are 2

Half Caper Farm":3lpwkgcu said:
Was he neutered? You can't expect an un-neutered tom not to spray - it's their nature. Did you at least check him for a bladder infection? Animals aren't "spiteful" - they don't do things to deliberately piss us off. If a cat is peeing in inappropriate places, it's either a) sick, b) stressed (dog in the house? -that would be stressful to a cat that isn't used to it) or c) somebody needs to change the litter box!

I could NOT have said it better - I agree - thank you :)

My neutered cat sprayed all over the neighbourhood... he was smart enough to NOT do that in the house at all,in fact he was very very clean in the house.So cats can control themselves, stress or no stress. My cat had dogs,other cats and a daycare and several moves to deal with in his life. Cats do so pee on things for spite, it happened to my dad's pillow too when I was a kid.My dad was the only one in the house that didn't like cats at all. So obviously this cat of Jack"s was acting out and couldn't handle the situation! The obvious thing IS to get rid of him to a better situation unless one LIKES the smell of cat urine everywhere? Its too bad, but you can't blame the humans everytime..its very hard to know how a cat will react or act! The way its been put here anyone that has dogs or other cats should never adopt another cat and if it sprays outside the box then blame yourself and put up with it?

Tomcat your cat sounds quite funny!! My cat used to be obsessed over those twist ties, the ones that used to be used on garbage bags? If he got one he would play all night with it!

he was an indoor cat...
and we had an appointment to get his nuts chopped today
it's the SPITE thing...
that can't be fixed, even after the nuts are gone
and the fear of dogs thing

he is better off living in a single cat home with no dogs, he can be happy there.
If you want to attack me and claim that you "KNOW ALL"
I've got thick skin, but anybody saying it's impossible for a cat to be spiteful and hold a grudge etc., well, I guess you don't have cats, and defiantly NOT Siamese. BRODY.....

Jack - why the personal shout out? Should I feel flattered? All I did was agree with halfmoon caper ...
I find it quite amusing that you would presume I don't live with cats .. especially Siamese ;)
I really don't put human charactersistics (especially negative ones) on the animals I work with though .. I really don't think spite is what motivates an animal's behaviour .. fright, defining territory, stress, lack of knowledge, play, predatory instincts .. I think they are all much more likely to cause issues we need to learn to deal with
I'm very sorry the new cat didn't work out - for you and for the cat - I hope it can find a single cat home where it will be happier ..

Though tempting to rip you up one side and down another,
I will simply put forth my right to respectfully disagree
I have had a cat all my life, and at some points (my mom is that 'cat woman') house fulls of Siamese, who really are quite spitefully, one of the worse as a breed, to thousands of dollars 90% pure (cause 100 is illegal ;) ) African wild cats...

So to those who think it's all my fault, READ THE TITLE, it didn't work, and he is a good enough cat, that I would like to pass him on to a better place, one without a dog, other cats and young children. If he had pissed on me, when I was asleep, in my bed,AGAIN there would be no cat, because I don't put of with that. And chopping a cats balls off, once they start this behavior pattern DOES NOTHING, ask me how I know...
so you get them a new place.

But thanks for understanding and not being judgmental.....
It's great, just got a phone call from the spay/neuter clinic, and the receptionist had the nerve to yell at my wife, I really have a VERY bad taste after dealing with the rescues these last few months, just reaffirms that most of them are just an excuse for crazy animal hoarders.

Jack, I empathize with your frustration, but I think you're overreacting. You have your opinion, other people have other opinions... Why so upset? It is not logical to label people who are interested in animal rescue as hoarders.... And please mind your language... This is a family forum and I shouldn't need to go into your post and tone it down.

it's not just that, it's that I spent close to two months looking for a Siamese, and I found quite a few, at least 6 were with local 'rescues' two were gone, one wouldn't work out in my home, and the other three, were clutched by cat hoarders, so...

Finally got a cat, and looked like he was settling in, and if it had been just spraying, that can be fixed by neutering them, but once they start pissing on the bed, or on a certain persons clothes, doesn't matter if you fix them, either they go out and stay out, or you rehome them. And I have taken enough crap this week from people about this cat (remember, he was my wife's valentines present..)

It must be very dissappointing to have it not work out. I am sorry that it didn't.

I personally have had very poor luck with cats over the age of 6 months--for whatever reason, they seem to have difficulty adjusting.

If I were your wife, I might be dissappointed about the cat, but very appreciative of the lengths you went to to get her a pet. I hope she is!

And, maggie, brody's post came right after the spay/neuter clinic called my wife back, after she called to apologize for missing his appointment, and explained that we don't have him any more, the chick chewed her out, cause fixing the cat would fix all your problems (um it takes 3-6 MONTHS for the cat to settle into the new 'it')
And this isn't a cat/cat issue, it's a whole home issue, but thanks for listening and understanding (sarcastic)

It's the I KNOW ALL attitude of the self appointed 'EXPERTS (and if you don't think so, I'll yell louder, cause I'm an EXPERT) and their 'animals are humans too' attitude, that I have um difficulty with, I like animals, but they fit me and my lifestyle and my home and my kids (with reasonalbe accommodations) or they go onto a new home. If I thought the cat was bad (and yes, I have had my share of those too, cats that aren't fit to be a pet..) well I wouldn't pass on a problem like that.

It's one of the things I like about rabbits, most of the meat/ breeder circles are open to new Ideas, and trying stuff, and rarely do you have the self appointed expert, and even pet owners can get along, and most of the house society people refuse to associate with us. So..

If I say spiteful, I'm trying to sum up a number of attitudes and behaviors
1spite
noun \ˈspīt\
Definition of SPITE
: petty ill will or hatred with the disposition to irritate, annoy, or thwart
: an instance of spite
— in spite of

BTW, a synonym of spiteful is Catty...

People are entitled to their opinions. Some people feel cats can be spiteful... Others do not. Some people think spaying/neutering will go a long way to solving behaviour problems... Others do not. I don't understand why you cannot tolerate a difference of opinion without taking things so personally. I appreciate that the vet clinic was rude and disrespectful to your wife and that you may be having some fall-out at home because things did not work out. I hope things improve for you soon. But none of that has anything to do with us.

yeah, your right, its, well this whole thing has been so frustrating
didn't mean to vent

Latest posts

Back