Well, I was bad...kinda...meet Clyde

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alforddm

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
This poor boy was by the railroad tracks south of town when Kasey and I were going to pick up some art she had entered in the fair. He was still there when we came back, so I stopped. I figure he was dumped. He kept looking at all the cars like he expected someone to stop for him. I almost decided to leave him but when we drove off he took off down the road after us and followed us a good ways. I couldn't stand it so I put him in the truck. He's super sweet, good with the kids and dogs but he has already tried to kill chickens. I've borrowed a shock collar and have been worked with him. Hopefully I can get him broke from that habit.

Took him for a good long run on the ATV this morning through the woods. He was really good and stayed right by me the entire time. When we got back I fed and watered the rabbits. I did have to warn him a couple of times but he finally laid down and was a good dog while I finished.

I think he's a young dog maybe around a yr old. He was pretty skinny when I picked him up but he's been with us a few days and has already gained weight. I wormed him and treated him for ticks and fleas right away. I hope he can learn. He really is a sweet boy and is wonderful on a leash. If we are able to keep him I'll get him neutered. For now, he has to stay tethered when someone is not outside with him. I hate that but I'd hate loosing my chickens or rabbits more. He must have been tethered previously as he knew exactly what it was and didn't fight it at all.

I have been attempting to find an owner but so far no luck. I contacted the local shelter and have a couple of posts out on facebook groups. I didn't post his picture for fear someone would try to take him for dog fighting or something but if someone can ID him I'd let him go.

Attachments

• IMG_3092.resized.resized.JPG
    IMG_3092.resized.resized.JPG
    388.4 KB · Views: 2,503
  • IMG_3093.resized.resized.JPG
    IMG_3093.resized.resized.JPG
    391.1 KB · Views: 2,503
I hope Clyde rewards your kindness with years of love and loyalty. He sounds like a promising young dog and it seems odd that someone would dump such a likeable fellow. I know it happens though.

IMHO you've found yourself a cutie pie! He'll probably stop trying to kill animals once he puts some weight on and sees he don't have to kill for food. I hope you have several years of love with Clyde :) *He is sooo cute by the way :D *

His coloring is similar to the rabbit in your AVI :lol:

He is a pretty dog :) I hope he can tame the animal instinct. We had to find a home for one of the pups we planned on keeping b/c she wiped out 10 chickens in a matter of days (which wasn't an easy decision). Depending on your setup you can do a wireless fence and the chickens will learn their limits (not so good if the batteries run out, power outage, or accidental unplugging - although I have seen that it takes a little while for most dogs to realize they can get past it).

Nothing bad about giving a dog chance :D Our dog Padre was a dumped dog my brother and his wife was going to town and saw him and his sister along the road and she wanted to stop and get them my brother knowing she would keep every dog she See's said if they are still there when they head back they would stop. He was hoping that they wouldn't be there! They already had 3 dogs :lol: He asked me if I would like to have one. I hadn't had a dog for a few years at the time But I went and picked him out and long story short he was maybe 4 month old at the time. He has been awesome with the kids growing up. And my best buddy for over 9 years

I like your kind of BAD!

Thank you for saving him.
My Princess is a rescue from a shelter, but we have no idea why anyone would give up such a warm, loving, intelligent dog.
She is one of the best things to ever happen in my life. We go on vacation and miss her. (more than the kids)

If he's smart, it already sounds like he is, you will have him trained with the chickens in no time.
Our Princess and I had a "discussion" when I caught her removing feathers from a chicken that was still using her feathers.
She's a really smart girl and took our discussion to heart. Never had a problem since. (turkey or ducks either)

I wouldn't trust her for a minute with the rabbits.... Rabbits are for chasing and eating.... no amount of "discussing" would ever change that for her.

He's adorable! I wouldn't call that bad, you did a great thing! Poor guy, who would leave a dog like that? He seems so clever and sweet.

I hope he learns not to chase the animals.

Clyde has an extremely high prey drive. He will actually try to stalk the rabbits in their cages. Hunch down type stalking like a cat. I'm actually starting to wonder if he was someone's hog dog who slipped his collar. If if wasn't for the way he was watching those cars I would be posting all over the hog hunting boards.

He is learning though.

We went for another run today he took off after something but I called him and drove around a bit and he came running back.

alforddm":2cm9qme4 said:
I'm actually starting to wonder if he was someone's hog dog who slipped his collar. If if wasn't for the way he was watching those cars I would be posting all over the hog hunting boards.
I wonder if maybe you should just lurk on those forums a bit and see if anyone has posted him missing.

I went ahead and joined one and posted that I had found a pitbull or pitbull mix. If some one can describe him, I'll return him. I'm still hopeful he'll learn enough not to bother the chickens and rabbits. If no one has claimed him, when it cools down a bit, I think I may see if he will hunt squirrels as an outlet for his drive.

alforddm":1erqy8p5 said:
Clyde has an extremely high prey drive. He will actually try to stalk the rabbits in their cages. Hunch down type stalking like a cat. I'm actually starting to wonder if he was someone's hog dog who slipped his collar. If if wasn't for the way he was watching those cars I would be posting all over the hog hunting boards.

He is learning though.

We went for another run today he took off after something but I called him and drove around a bit and he came running back.

That's a bummer about the prey drive :( . I didn't know there were such things has hog dogs, but I guess where I grew up in VA they used dogs to run deer, and of course rabbit and squirrel dogs. It would be interesting to know his history...

He's basically, if not pure, a pit... which means he's got a ''high-drive''. If he becomes
fixated on something... he's an extreme pursuer. And your chickens look like the perfect
''toy'' to him... (self-propelled...feathery balls) and pits LOVE playing with balls. :p

If he's young enough, and castrated soon enough, he'll settle into probably one of
the best companions you'll ever possess... BUT DON'T TELL HIM THAT. LOL. In his
mind.... You already belong to him, not the other way around.. :D

It makes you question what this pup would be like if he'd had the love and
understanding you've shown him these last few days......all of his life. :cry:

Good luck with the pup.

Grumpy

grumpy":1b5y2i6i said:
He's basically, if not pure, a pit... which means he's got a ''high-drive''. If he becomes
fixated on something... he's an extreme pursuer. And your chickens look like the perfect
''toy'' to him... (self-propelled...feathery balls) and pits LOVE playing with balls. :p

If he's young enough, and castrated soon enough, he'll settle into probably one of

Good luck with the pup.

Grumpy

We've had a two pits over the years and I agree with everything you said! They are probably the most misunderstood dog breed there is. That's one of the reasons I picked him up. I was afraid someone would shoot him, or he would go to the pound and be euthanized, just because of his breed.

The ones we had before were raised with chickens and all it took was getting attacked by a mother hen once and the were broke from chickens forever. :lol:

I can't be sure of his age but he's fairly young. He's teeth don't show wear or plaque deposits.

alforddm":13s3quwb said:
grumpy":13s3quwb said:

Good luck with the pup.

Grumpy

We've had a two pits over the years and I agree with everything you said! They are probably the most misunderstood dog breed there is. That's one of the reasons I picked him up. I was afraid someone would shoot him, or he would go to the pound and be euthanized, just because of his breed.

The ones we had before were raised with chickens and all it took was getting attacked by a mother hen once and the were broke from chickens forever. :lol:

I can't be sure of his age but he's fairly young. He's teeth don't show wear or plaque deposits.

I should have known you're a Pit owner. :D I ''sure'' hope he settles down for you. :)

Well, unfortunately, we decided not the keep this boy. Hubby got photo evidence of him running deer, and that was kind of a deal breaker for us. I've never had any luck breaking a dog from running deer after they go started.

I did find what I hope was a good home for him.

Back