Well crud, sudden feed change?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been buying from a local feed and seed for years now. Heard the sad news that they were closing (even sadder is that it's DH's BF from HS), but the set date was Aug. 31st so I thought I had time. Things are moving fast and he doesn't think he will be open another week or two. I went last week to buy a couple bags so I could start transitioning to something else and he said he was out of 50 lb bags but had two 25s. . Ok, that's fine. It was enough to have some for transitioning. They load for you so I didn't think twice about it. I went to unload today and as it's pouring in the bucket I am thinking that it does not look right at all. Crap... it's the wrong brand. Not only is it the wrong brand, it's the brand I used to use and hated (the red flag was the whole kernels of corn :x ). So, not only do I have two totally new brands of food, I have them in the same container already. I did find a supplier of the other stuff 45 minutes away, and have a phone call in to another place to see if they are going to start carrying it so maybe I don't have to fully transition at all. (All this after likely wasting $30 in feed :evil: , plus the hassle of taking back the other bag if I don't have to use it. I guess the chickens can eat the crappy stuff, they'll enjoy the corn!)

But in the mean time, I had enough to get them all fed with the old stuff this morning, but am completely out. I have 2 sets of growouts, some 5 weeks old, some 3 months old. If I can't get to the place to get some today, what would be my best bet tomorrow? I have the junk stuff and a bag from Tractor Supply.

Feeding lots of grass hay and some oats or oatmeal in addition to the pellets should help them over the transition. Sometimes no matter how carefully we plan for this kind of thing, Murphy is there to mess things up.

Back