Weird sores on our dog...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I will get pics, but I sprayed her down with Bluekote so there's not much to see right now.

At first I thought she stuck her nose in something and either scraped it or burned it. There's a decent sized puffy hairless area. Sprayed it with Bluekote, figured it would heal on it's own. A week later it's still there, and looks worse than it did. A couple of days ago I noticed a bump under her right eye. Tick bite maybe? Nope. Today it's open and weeping. Another spot has shown up under her jaw... and under her tail. Maybe a couple more on her side and legs, but they are small so I can't tell yet. Crud. Some are just bare skin areas, some are puffy and look like burns, and still others are open sores.

We have had DH's cousin's dogs coming around a lot lately, and what is the first thing dogs do? Stick their noses in each others' butts. Where does she have all the sores? Right in those areas. His Great Pyr was here for the first time (that I have seen) the other day and she looks baaaad. I asked DH's aunt what was up with her hairless tail and she said she thought it was from a neighbors male dog mounting her relentlessly. Now I'm thinking that's not the case :( . Our other dog (so far) looks fine, but she also has longer hair so maybe it will be harder to see on her?

I can't get to the vet this week - I am watching a friend's little girl and am uncomfortable driving other peoples children around - I don't think I could live with the guilt if an accident were to happen (slim chance, I know, but... still). Is there anything else to try other than the Bluekote? I have some essential oils on hand, but with their sensitive sniffers I don't want to irritate her with the wrong stuff. I'm hoping it's not mange (or really anything contagious). I have already told ODS he needs to wash his hands any time he touches her. Of course it's nice weather (finally!) and I don't even want to go outside b/c of the dogs and my fear that they will give something to the kids :x

The first thing I would suspect would be mange. If it is mange blukote won't take care of it but Ivomec will. So long as your dog isn't in one of those breeds that are sensative to ivomec.

Hmmmm... Ivomec I do have! Would it hurt to go ahead and treat her? I would love to save the vet visit for a wide variety of reasons...

She's a 21lb mutt ;) A Jack Russel stray (that we thought was fixed... obviously she wasn't) paired with a neighbor's roaming Blue Heeler (both looked pretty true to form, but who knows if they were mixed with anything). Are both of those breeds OK? She's mostly white with some light tan spots and speckles if that makes any difference.

__________ Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:55 pm __________

Here are a couple of pics... Noticed another spot while taking them that I didn't see earlier.

Can you tell she's totally irritated with me today? :lol:

Not sure what it is, but her being half herding dog, be careful with the ivomec, she is higher risk. If you do use the ivomec, start with an extremely small dose, increasing daily until up to a full dose. If you notice any neurological symptoms, stop the ivomec immediately.

oakhollow":1px35k1y said:
Not sure what it is, but her being half herding dog, be careful with the ivomec, she is higher risk. If you do use the ivomec, start with an extremely small dose, increasing daily until up to a full dose. If you notice any neurological symptoms, stop the ivomec immediately.

Good to know! I didn't realize certain breeds would be more sensitive... Oh the things I learn on here!

Thankfully it appears that whatever it is/was might be going away. I don't know if it was some virus that finally peaked, something in her blood stream, or just something she got into that irritated her... but the spots opened up, drained, and are now healing. I need to check her tail out and see how it looks. ODS was pretty excited when he saw her this morning... it really upset him to see her like that.

Looks like flea allergy...my cat has it and my dad's chis have it. ONE bite and bam they start doing that. If not treated quick they go completely bald o_O

Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry":24eantw4 said:
Looks like flea allergy...my cat has it and my dad's chis have it. ONE bite and bam they start doing that. If not treated quick they go completely bald o_O

Oh boy, I hope not! Would it start all of a sudden like that? We have been battling fleas the last two years - this past winter was so ridiculously warm I don't know if there was ever much of a break from them.

Yep could. That's the funny thing about allergies. You can be fine for years and then boom it start. Are there any fleas on? They'll be lots of digging, scooting, and rubbing around all over if its the allergy issue. It reminds me a lot of mange, but if you skin scrap and look under microscope there's nothing there....that's how they figured out its the fleas (that and the timing of it, no fleas to flea season here and shortly after them going poof poof to almost bald and finding a flea on).

Flea comb and oat meal baths helped, but unless completely rid of fleas will continue to get worse :/ I hope its not that either, flea allergies are a night mare.

DH's cousin had a dog that was allergic to fleas - he looked awful by the time they figured it out!

She has them, I know she does. The stuff I have tried for her this season has not worked. I need to get something different (a couple people on here recommended Advantage II).

Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry":3jxe8cj6 said:
Yep could. That's the funny thing about allergies. You can be fine for years and then boom it start.

Yep, it's even more fun when it happens to you instead of the simple frustration of hunting down what happened to the animal. :x I'd use revolution. You can buy it without a vet from http://www.petshed.com/revolution.asp . It ships from the UK or australia. Not anywhere sketchy. It may come under it's UK name. Dosage is the same. We've used it 3 times now and the only problem was one order was on it's expiration date but we were using it immediately. Since then it hasn't happened and it's worked. I also had to dose the guinea pigs and gerbils due to mites being left behind by the dying wild mice population. It's cheapest to buy the biggest tubes and syringe out what you need. Not hard to find dosages online. It will kill mites of all types anywhere on the body, ticks, fleas, sometimes lice, heartworm and a host of internal parasites. Pricy but it's a good cover all basis without the risk of ivermectin reaction and it costs less than if you had to use a flea treatment, heartworm treatment that is not your own measured out ivomec, and periodic internal parasite meds all separately. Also you don't have to shove anything down their throat. My dogs say the real meat heartworm logs are a joke.

I would also get a good antiseptic. You can get chlorhexadine in a shampoo. I just had to use it on myself. The scrub they gave me is dyna hex 4. I was going to go look it up for future uses but haven't gotten to it. You can also rinse the individual wounds with chlorhexadine or betadine and apply the wound kote but if the sores are everywhere with scabs I'd probably do a good bath with the antiseptic shampoo and then apply a dose of revolution. If that doesn't clear it up you probably have something internal going on. If it does you can test to see what the minimum is needed to keep the dog from breaking out without spending a fortune. This would just be my starting point to get a clean slate for testing allergens or other infection causes.

Back