weird rex

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
Was at the pet store yesterday, and they had a broken Harlequin, lets just say, yeah thats weird.

A broken Harlequin? Like, Harlequin pattern but with white broken pattern? That is very weird, but technically I think it'd still be considered a tri-color. Except...every tri-color I've ever seen has been spotted, not barred like a Harlie.

Agreed. Odd.

Ok, so Hari is carried on the extension gene, so you have normal, E_, Japanese (hari) ej, and non extended, red (like Thriantas etc.)

The one I am used to is english spot en, I think there are others, but haven't seen them, OOOH, look up Rhinelanders, that's what I am talking about, never seen them in rex, or even in person, looks funny to me.

There are a number of tri-color mini Rex breeders in this neck of the woods. It's a very striking pattern, and one I'm told is difficult to get right.

There might also be some tri-color "Standard Rex" around here, but honestly, I think they are crossed with Minis. Most of the standards in this state have trouble making Senior weight, and I definitely don't know of anyone with good Standard tri-colors that are the correct size.

well
this was very poor example of a rex, of either variety
for me, it's like, ok a hari/tricolor (which can also be a fawn type point with black gaurds, at least in dogs)
and the broken, just never seen them together

UGLY rabbit (pretty pattern, but YUCK) guess you can't fix ugly with a pretty coat

No, cause in a tort, at least the ones I have seen, the colors are muddled/blotchy
this was a clear broken pattern of Hari spots on white.

Was it somewhat similar to this colour?

pizza075.jpg

kinda but very importantly NO
rabbit_harlequin.jpg

It had the banding of a harlequin but only showing up in the color spots of En.
instead of the splotching of a tricolor.

Devon, I really want to hug that bunny.

I have seen Japanese variety Harlequins with big white patches on their legs and faces, maybe it was a very exaggerated form of that. Might have been a Harlie X Rex cross.

When you mentioned fawn points in dogs, they have that black muzzle thing going on which is what a tort rabbit has. The harlequin gene in Rex doesn't show up like it does in the breed Harlequins because it hasn't really been bred for pattern but for colour only. Also only brokens (Tris) are accepted, so no one is really working on the pattern aspect of it as type is quite crappy at this point. The picture Devon has up is a black orange tri which is not Torted as you can see her whisker bed is quite a clean orange. Her name is Pizza The Hut btw :)

Well, she's adorable!!! I had one black/orange tricolor doe named Butterfinger, she was the nicest bunny I ever had. It was about 6 years ago though. Her type was terrible and her fur was downy, but her head and ears were perfect.

I miss rabbits :cry:

Back