Weird Condition Issue

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZachsRabbits

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I'm confused. I actively show my rabbits all the time. In the spring and summer, and early fall my rabbits held condition very well. I took two to convention where they they placed 5/12 and 10/43. They had good condition. I showed the rest of the fall and had no problems. Until December when I lost two rabbits to what appeared to mucoid enteritis. I wormed and everyone was ok. Now, my rabbits can't seem to hold or gain condition very well. I'm worming multiple times and little improvement. Some of them are in great condition. I don't understand. I think from my previous experience with cocci 2 and half years ago. It's lurking and has something to deal with this...
Thoughts??

I was going to say stop deworming. If it was going to work it would have worked in the first dose or occasionally 2 and those are toxic chemicals. They are dosed at a level toxic to the parasite but not the animal. Repeat dosing of a dewormer not designed for daily use increases the odds of health issues from it. If the health issue is not severe rotating a few dewormers that kill different things can help make sure you've covered any issues before you move on to another theory but even when using different types of dewormers you should weigh the seriousness of symptoms against the potential for further harm when deciding how to space them out and how many to try. With no symptoms except things like not quite appearing as fluffy and fat as before I would space out attempted treatments at least a month, if not several, because it's going to take that long to make more subtle changes to condition anyway.

Underlying stress from something that isn't strong enough to cause actual symptoms often doesn't require treating the animal for the potential infection. It is better to help boost their ability to fight it while decreasing it's survival around them in the environment instead. Long term that will go a lot farther to preventing ongoing problems while you also breed only the healthiest rabbits to their living conditions. I found the best thing for cocci was to disinfect the colonies and keep them completely dry. Deaths stopped immediately when they were just reducing in age range affected while treating the rabbits themselves. With the source gone the rabbits can fight the problem. Some things are always going to exist so making the animals able to better fight it off can help with unknown minor imbalances. Many will supplement BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds), high quality vegetable oils like safflower, flax, etc..., apple cider vinegar, or higher fat oats at least temporarily to help recovery and maintain condition. That and some extra cleaning with concentrated cage/floor/ground treatment for anything you think is lurking around doesn't cost more than excessive dewormer use without putting potentially harmful and GI upsetting compounds into the animal itself. If the issue resolves with supplemental feeding but keeps returning without despite other changes you might want to consider a permanent main diet change as the nutrition of your current brand of pellet or source of hay just may not be sufficient anymore. It might not even be your local problem but the current batches being manufactured.

I have a few lines of thought after reading this:

One of the rabbit people in Michigan was saying that feed companies sometimes change ingredients in feed.....
Apparently her issue was with Kent feed... Could your feed mill have made a change? How does your feed smell?
(We had an issue with a vomit-toxin (sp?) 3 years ago)

Could the cold and recovery from possible infestation be a factor?

Environmental... have you changed anything in the rabbitry?

Hay? check it for mould.... stick your face right in the centre of the bale and breath deep!

I have started adding apple cider vinegar (with the mother) into the drinking water for my rabbits... and adding a greenonion or chive once a week. (there is a pinned post about allium plants and battling cocci)

Good luck.... I hate losing rabbits and it is so frustrating when you feel like there is nothing you can do about it.

Latest posts

Back