weights

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
I know one takes weights on mini rex/holland lops etc at the six month mark.

when does one take weights for polish, harlequins, and new zealands?

For showing?

The only time I've weighed my Harlequins is if they're Juniors and I suspect they might be overweight for that class - if they are overweight, they show as Seniors.

For 4-Class rabbits (Ones that are shown as Sr, Jr Buck and Doe) You would weigh when they turned Sr (or maturity) so 6 Months on average.

For 6-Class rabbits (utilities. Shown as Sr Jr Intermediate, then buck and doe) You would weigh at Sr weight so 8 months or so, since they mature much slower then smaller breeds.

And just to confuse the issue even more...

You can register a 6-class breed like New Zealands if they are 6 months of age (or older) and have made senior weight. To register your rabbit you will need the full pedigree complete with everyone's weight.

So you CAN actually enter the weight on the pedigree for a NZ at 6-8 months and use that pedigree to register the animal -- as long as the rabbit has made senior weight already. The weight may/will change as the rabbit ages, goes through hormonal/metabolic changes, etc. The rabbit may not always match the exact weight on the pedigree. If you've registered the rabbit, you can submit a change to ARBA with the new weight, but I doubt most people bother. I've had rabbits go up and down as they moult, or whenever I don't pay close enough attention and the food-hogs fatten up, or I pay close attention and slim them down for breeding. :)

Latest posts

Back