Weights for 3 week old kits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoonSpiritMom

Reaction score
Ok so my kits are 3 weeks old now (as of Monday) and I weighed them on sunday. There is 8 of them.. 1 from one doe and 7 from the other doe... I fostered the runt and one of the other smaller kits to the doe with just 1 kit because i thought the bigger kits were hogging the milk from the smaller kits.

Anyways! These kits are from nz/flem mixed parents.. does and buck are this cross. The majority of the kits are with in a few grams of each other weight wise from 8.25 oz to 9.5 oz

The runt is 6.5 oz and the biggest is 12.5 oz

I'm wondering if these are all good weights for this mix? anyone know?

They are all very healthy, although a few have nest box eye right now, even though I moved them out of the nest box last friday. I just wipe their eyes with a warm,damp towel to loosen the goobers.

Moms are fed 18% pellet with alfalfa/timothy/clover mix hay every day and get some treats (things like apple, carrot, dandelion ) once or twice a week. And have access to water all the time.

I'll take some photos later.. and try to get them to sit correctly so you can see their body structures.

I didn't start tracking weights until week 4, so I can't really say bad or good. Please post weights next week and we can compare. Mine are all straight NZW.
Thanks

I totally will next Sunday!

I'll take photos then too i think... as I'm to busy this week to take any. <br /><br /> __________ Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:47 am __________ <br /><br /> Took some photos of my biggest kit. s/he will be 4 weeks old on Monday.

He's got pinched hips i think.. took some top view photos. What do you think? I tried to get him into a good pose.

No matter, I'm not showing.. just learning for now. I have no good side photos.

Very helpful Chart!! thank you!

__________ Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:38 am __________

Ok so Now my kits are 4 weeks old.

I weighed them all and did my best to sex them. I've put washable crayola marker in their ears to tell me gender at a glance. (in case someone wants to buy a kit of a specific gender) So pink for does, blue for bucks

Litter #1 (5 kits)

Kit #1) 14 1/8 oz Doe

Kit #2) 13 3/4 oz Buck

Kit #3) 12 3/4 oz Doe

Kit #4) 13 oz Buck

Kit #5) 1 lb 3/4oz Buck

Litter #2 (3 kits)

Kit #1) 1 lb 1/8 oz Buck

Kit #2) 9 5/8 oz Doe (runt)

Kit #3) 13 1/4 oz Buck

All kits and mothers are on 18 % pellet, with fresh grass/dandelion and all the hay they can eat. as well as fresh water daily, sometimes twice a day. They also are handled daily as well and are given fruit and veg treats twice a week at most. ( have not noticed any digestive issues with the kits at all, actually the opposite! they seem to really thrive on the fresh grass.)

The runt... is there anything i can give her that could boost her weight? She's just fine other wise, healthy and vigorous.. just small. I'm assuming she will take longer to grow out? Or should i consider selling her to a pet home? She's super sweet.

I would really like to hear your thoughts!

give her longer. 4 weeks is still very early. I'd start to worry closer to 6-8 weeks, when they've been weaned for some time.

Latest posts

Back