Weaning.. age?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipoGSD

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
So i have a question.. i know most recommend rehoming at 8 weeks but what if moms stop feeding at 5 weeks then have 2 weeks to help build up belly enzymes? Would letting them go at 7 weeks make me a bad breeder?

In many places it is illegal, know your county/city/state laws first. What do you want to sell for? That has a point on it too. Pet people don't want older rabbits here, even if it is not the best for the rabbit. Some areas are the complete opposite end, older is better. Another thing is, what do you want to be known for? Word of mouth will make or break, even if just selling pets/food.

Kits are hardier if they are older, less likely GI upset and plausible death worst case. Not saying I've not had my fair amount of too young kits I pity bought or bought before I new better that didn't' do OK, its just it is a possibility. I've gotten some that didn't last the week and they were well of age to eat on their own too.

Are you working on any kind of showing? I don't know of a single show breeder that wants a bun less than 8 weeks, unless buying a doe and the kits. Show breeders often wait until 12 weeks or even 5 to 6 months to choose. I make my first picks of keepers at 8 weeks of age, obvious pets leave then one way or another or sex of what I do not wish to keep any way even if potential show/brood. Young ones are a gamble on how they will turn out.

My does wean at different times. Some as early as 4 weeks some would never wean.

I always find this to be an interesting subject when it comes up. Looking into CT's laws I find no limitation on minimum age for selling rabbits. Many are 8 weeks and Colorado is 4 weeks. I'd be absolutely sure they are fully weaned though. The change over to only solid foods can cause weaning enteritis to rear it's ugly head. Never a good thing for buyers or sellers...

know the rules of the state you live in.

I would have ZERO issues selling a seven week old kit UNLESS there were predisposing factors. For instance, my dwarf bunnies tend not to leave until 8 weeks old simple because pet home people can be lacking in knowledge and I want some robustness before letting them go.

I occasionally hold back runts in the litter for the same reason.

Homer":xmkaxokg said:
I'd be absolutely sure they are fully weaned though. The change over to only solid foods can cause weaning enteritis to rear it's ugly head. Never a good thing for buyers or sellers...

SERIOUSLY! Good advice... That is exactly what I think happened to me!
It won't "cost" you too much more to leave them a bit with their mom and/or in a big grow out pen together. It could "cost" you reputational risk to sell before they are fully ready to be on their own.

I usually don't separate my Belgians from there mother till 10-12 weeks old. I don't sell a kit less than 12 weeks anyways. Usually more around 4 months old is when I let a few go to new homes. I guess it depends on your purpose. I don't see a problem letting an pet rabbit go to a new home at eight weeks.

Most of mine I bred back to back in at least spring and fall since we have both heat extremes and cold extremes the rest of the year. Kits weaned at 4weeks and were removed for the next litter. Never a problem. I did not sell them at 4weeks though. I might do 7 depending on home, breed, and individual litter. Small litters may start out bigger and grow faster due to available milk but it depends on breed since some breeds 3-4kits is normal and about what the doe can feed whereas other breeds might find 6 to be a small litter and 8 to grow nearly as fast with occasional litters in the teens.

Ty everyone for your input and advice. These are going to be pets. Most of them are on the larger size and im sure most would prefer them a little younger so they are smaller but i decided to wait until 8 weeks. Well, 2 days shy of 8 weeks. (Made official pick up date on a weekend so i have more time) rehoming 4 litters that day.

Ps not sure how i did a double post but could a mod delete the other one? Ty and sorry about that..

My does wean their kits at 4 weeks. I use to sell kits at 5 weeks old without any issues, with this new litter, I am waiting until 6 weeks now.

Back