We've Got Wigglers!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After turning up my phone brightness and realizing the one that looked Brown is Gray I realized she looks a lot like Totoro when she was tiny

rsz_20161130_180457.jpg

ButtonsPalace... Right, like gray with a touch of brown, so I'm wondering at lilac, because I'd need to see some violet in there, right? And the far right one also appears to have variations in color, especially noticeable on her belly and chin, where it's creamy colored. Like a reverse tan. The one Angora color site I used said this may be agouti coloring, but it seems too consistent. Tomorrow will show something more, I'm sure.

-- Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:22 pm --

Here is a close up, side - view of the one kit that originally as thought of as maybe a lilac.

Note the lighter color chin, belly, wrists and tail.

15337614_10210245297664555_4762332391494037079_n.jpg

-- Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:36 pm --

Another group thought this kit may be Lynx, but doesn't a parent need to be Agouti? Both parents are blue (self). <br /><br /> -- Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:56 pm -- <br /><br /> SarniaTricia, I would be very happy if the one turns out to be fawn, clean without smutt, it's hard to get and a great fiber!

Very cute babies! If the parents are truly self, then any agouti or otter colors are impossible, tort would be possible though. Agouti and otter colors have light color on belly, tail, inside of ears, and eye circles. Sometimes, especially with wool breeds colors are identified incorrectly for the parents or an accidental mating could have occurred. Did you get her bred already or did you breed her? Maybe if you could post a pic of the parents that would help. Also let us know if there are eye circles on any? Hard to tell from pics sometimes, almost looks like a couple of them have light color inside the ears.

sunrise":2aqlp89b said:
Very cute babies! If the parents are truly self, then any agouti or otter colors are impossible, tort would be possible though. Agouti and otter colors have light color on belly, tail, inside of ears, and eye circles. Sometimes, especially with wool breeds colors are identified incorrectly for the parents or an accidental mating could have occurred. Did you get her bred already or did you breed her? Maybe if you could post a pic of the parents that would help. Also let us know if there are eye circles on any? Hard to tell from pics sometimes, almost looks like a couple of them have light color inside the ears.

I'm going back through my pedigrees to see if either one of the parents are a false self (if thats even possible)? I have both the sire and the dam. Both appear to be blue. Both have dark eyes and ears. I did the breedings and we only have the one Angora buck. Something is afoot however, because I agree, that one kit appears to be fawn and the other appears to have Otter marks and likely a lynx by appearance, but the genetics dont support that.... so.... another breeding in the future is necessary to test this and fun stuff.

Six Gun, maybe you should look at Steel. My friend's blue el buck is a hidden steel which means when bred to a self doe. He can and has thrown agouti kits.

If one of the parents is a steel, or super steel that might make sense. Steel can hide for generations though, hard to tell from a pedigree.

That could be it, I don't know much about steel. Maybe you should start a new post about color. There are quite a few people on here who are incredibly knowledgeable about color genetics and I'd like to know the answer to that one too!

Excellent idea.... <br /><br /> -- Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:25 pm -- <br /><br /> Two weeks old now.

We were starting to get a pretty big gap in weights between the largest and smallest kits and so we had to shelve them. They are now eating well twice a day and we actually got a nice increase in weight gains.

15585124_10210331035767954_3487756957859907748_o.jpg

These are the Ermine / Frosties. There are three and they are each a varying degree of off white. All have dark eyes.

15493500_10210331021727603_1597449786471089967_o.jpg

We call these two "Blondie" and "Two Tone"

15493451_10210330999127038_4492073839031938305_o.jpg

These are the four "blues". At least one is not Blue as it has a white belly and white in its ears. Another one is doubtful as being a true self and two are blue through and through.

That weather out there in the rest of the country sure has been something. It has been getting below freezing at night down here in the Mexico mountains, but, as my buns are all inside, it's not too much of a concern. Finally....
When I lived in Wisconsin with buns I was well versed in the water bottle and crock freezeathon.

Back