we have kits!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
Amako finally kindled sometime this morning. There are only 2. One is agouti and probably castor like it's mom. Hopefully not chocolate agouti since that isn't allowed in mini rex but any I keep will probably be bred back to self lines (chocolate or black) anyway. The other is a loudly marked broken. Surprising since the dam is just above being booted with only a few extra spots down one side and the sire only has 1 broken in his background. Although he does have several rew so who knows what that is hiding.

When you talk about markings and color in rabbits do you refer to the white or the other color? In horses "color" means the white so a mostly white paint would have lots of color (it always confused me) and markings while a paint with little white would be minimally marked. The agouti is very well fed but the broken was a bit wrinkly. Both were very active and hardly stayed in place long enough for a couple quick pictures.

SANY2260.jpg

SANY2259.jpg

Akane,
first congrats to your Doe for finally spiting out those Kits.
When speaking of Broken rabbits it is the color first.
All Broken rabbits must have some white, so they go by the color:
Broken Black, Broken Red, Blue etc. Whatever accepted color the rabbit has
other than White is what color they are.
The broken gene had to come from the booted rabbit.
A solid colored rabbit cannot carry the broken gene.
I hope that helps.
Dennis, C.V.R.

I know all that. I mean when you say a rabbit has a certain amount of color or markings are you referring to the white or the other color. With horses you are referring to the white when you say color which is confusing since white is technically a lack of color and when you comment on markings even if the horse is 90% white you are not referring to the other color. We had a paint gelding who only had dark ears and that area was referred to as the unmarked area and that he had too much color. So when an article talks about a rabbit needing certain markings on it's face, feet, body, etc... does it mean the white or the other color? When you comment on the amount of white a broken has is it said by the amount of white or the amount of other color?

For a split second when I saw the kit I was afraid I'd ended up with a charlie but then I remembered my chocolate buck is not broken so impossible. One side or the other must have some modifier genes to expand the white from the broken gene. We'll see what happens when I start crossing the other brokens in.

So when an article talks about a rabbit needing certain markings on it's face, feet, body, etc... does it mean the white or the other color? When you comment on the amount of white a broken has is it said by the amount of white or the amount of other color?

they talk about the amount of colour the rabbit has.

So a broken blue... needs to have blue ears, blue around nose, blue on body, and preferably symmetrical. 10-50% Colour.

The broken kit's tummy was big and round today so it looks like they are both getting fed. Amako is being a good mother rabbit. She gets a bit concerned about activity around her nest box but does not attack over it. The cat did get thoroughly threatened though for looking in the cage.

you GO Amako! :bananadance2: Nasty cat..baaaaad kitty.

About color and what IS color and how to reference it...I'm from a horse and dog background and rabbit terms just are so confusing about what they wnat, don't want, colors, etc. It's like a whole new language. I mean..really...blue, lavender, black...but NO gray...even tho the black angoras have GREY FIBER. and "Blue tort"? are you kidding me? it's an orange tabby! :rotrl: (okay..so it has a gray underbelly and ears). And don't get me started on himy...color or breed did you say? <sigh>

5 days old now. When can you tell the gender of kits? The average listed on the internet is 5-6weeks but I know experience and a good eye usually lessens the average a lot. I can tell a guinea pig's gender the day it's born and my gerbils within the week. About the time they started to scoot around the cage and the mom had to keep collecting them.
SANY2269.jpg

SANY2267.jpg

SANY2265.jpg

Amako removed some of the hay from her nest for some reason but they are plenty warm. I could feel the heat through the bottom of the nest box while carrying it. I'm wondering if the hair might have been getting shoved to the front by the kits wigglying about so much. They are rather spastic little things and the broken wouldn't stop squeaking at me the entire time I was checking them over and taking pictures.

Akane,
to sex very young rabbits:
carefully place them one at a time in a plain brown paper bag,
shake them gently for a few minutes.
The ones that Rattle are Males. :)
Actually some believe that you can tell because the females have nipples.
I don't believe it as even the Males have nipples.
If you have a very good set of eyes you will see that the Bucks
have what appears to be a tiny little Stove-pipe
while the Does will have what appears like a small Taco.
The Does will be attached at the bottom near the anus.
Bucks tool will more or less stand up!
I hope this helps. I don't check so early, I wait till they are at least
four to six weeks old or while I am tattooing.
Ottersatin.

With only two kits in the box, you will need to make sure they have plenty of bedding. Small litters do not generate as much overall heat as larger litters. Feeling heat through the bottom of the nest box means heat is leaving the kits. I'd put a piece of cardboard under the nest box to help prevent this and add some extra bedding on top. If you can't gather up enough of the fur that the doe pulled, you can add dryer lint, feathers from a pillow, teased cotton balls or cotton batting or even shredded newspaper. It sounds like they are managing fine at the moment, but you don't want to be taking chances with them.

The nest box is on shavings not wire. That cage is solid bottomed.

I managed to get some pictures taken with my phone. They are 16 days old now and today they figured out how to leave the nest box. I helped them a little. I had them out on the bed playing and every time they looked over the edge either into or out of the nest box I gave them a little push. When I got home from taking Twix to the vet they were running about the cage. I think the broken is female and the other is male but my husband says they look the same.

1015101551.jpg

For size comparison to the other pics where I was holding them

1015101552.jpg

1015101553.jpg

Back