Watering system PVC schedule#40 pics. Beginning to end.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read and re-read this thread a million times over the years and have always planned on my own system when the time was right. I noticed that you elevate your tanks Grumpy and I see Cathy left theirs on the ground. Curious about the strain on the pump when forced to elevate the water. Wonder if that would make the pump wear quickly or if a person may need to get a larger pump if that's what you do. I probably wouldn't have that worry if I hadn't put my washing machine on a greywater watering system (laundry water exits my home and waters my landscaping) where I had to be careful with the length of my watering system and the grade of the pipe as not to put too much strain on the washer's pump. Because I don't care to replace my $$$ washer anytime soon!

grumpy":bbqfaxvo said:
Cathy.......

You need to get a covering over the open top of that barrel...asap.
It should have two small holes the diameter of your inlet and outlet
pipes. Plus a small Nick on the edge for the electric feed.

Having it open like that, dust and other "nasty's" will get into the
water and pollute it. Plus, your valves will start sticking. "MICE" are
notorious for getting in those open containers and drowning. If not
noticed in time........they sink.....and ROT. Not good.

Airborne dust will quickly accumulate and cause problems.

grumpy.

It has a top made of particle board as of now and we are making a proper lid tomorrow. Bucket was free and didn't come with a lid so we just threw what we had over it. Will update the pics tomorrow also. But thanks for the heads up.

-- Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:18 pm --

Wheels":bbqfaxvo said:
I've read and re-read this thread a million times over the years and have always planned on my own system when the time was right. I noticed that you elevate your tanks Grumpy and I see Cathy left theirs on the ground. Curious about the strain on the pump when forced to elevate the water. Wonder if that would make the pump wear quickly or if a person may need to get a larger pump if that's what you do. I probably wouldn't have that worry if I hadn't put my washing machine on a greywater watering system (laundry water exits my home and waters my landscaping) where I had to be careful with the length of my watering system and the grade of the pipe as not to put too much strain on the washer's pump. Because I don't care to replace my $$$ washer anytime soon!

I had the smartpond 120-GPH Submersible Fountain Pump at first and it would not pump the water all the way. It got to the last cage and a little up the return but that was it. The smartpond 560-GPH Submersible Pump did the trick. It's a $69 pump that we got for $25. We were given the barrel and there is NO way to elevate ours. If we did I'd have to put a hole in the roof. :x But we did think about putting it on a couple cinder blocks so it was off the ground, but we'll see how this works for now.
As for the strain well only time will tell. But I had this exact pump in my bass and catfish tank, 400gal, and it never quit. Just can't use it for the rabbits. :x :lol:

Back