Watering system PVC schedule#40 pics. Beginning to end.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grumpy, thanks for the thoughts...So far so good! It dropped just below 2 degrees outside on 12/7/13 where we live hear in Kansas. I think the circulation of the water seems to prevent the water from freezing similar to a moving stream. The bucket heater we are using was left over from the bucket heater that came with the freeze X system. I'll let you know if we run into problems. Thanks

wow great posts, -- and systems, -- I use a system made from 3/4 PEX pipe, [that does not break when it is frozen], as my rabbits are outside, but the fittings and crimp tool are expensive---- it is -5 here this am, and --I am watering in crocks now.

I finally figured out how we are going to start out our watering system. I don't want to do a full automatic this year (didn't get it done before winter), but I do want water out there.

I am going to stack 3 buckets and then connect them with fittings. There will be a submersible aquarium heater and a pump in the bottom bucket. There will be a hose that runs from the bottom of the bottom bucket into the top bucket. So the water will be pumped out of the bottom bucket up to the top bucket, then flow down through the middle bucket, down into the bottom bucket, pumped back up, etc.

I will also have some kind of a 'T' or bypass switch that will take it off of recirculate and allow me to fill water bottles with a hose. I figure we will have to add water every couple of days.

I will build a 2x4 frame around the buckets and we will actually strap it to a hand truck. We can also insulate the box if needed. We won't have to deal with trying to keep it warm while it winds through all the cages and back to the tank.

hi - I just made an auto watering system for my rabbitry. I've had a few issues with it so far. A few of my dewdrop valves randomly leak. I figure debris in the pipe might be the problem. One night I had the entire water reservoir drain because of this. The valves are pointed at a 45 degree angle downwards. Anyone use a filter on there system?
I am using a heater from Klubertanz. It's a 1000W heater and the thermostat is set pretty high which keeps the water very warm. And consequently it sucks quite a lot of power. My electrical bill is going to be more than double! I need to put this on a timer or something or get a lower power heater.
Other than that, I like the system. I've extended pipes into the chicken stall and so it supplies water to the chickens too.
Thanks for posting these pics. They are invaluable!
m

Glad they helped. The valves only need a small angle downwards.

Debris in the lines will cause water leakage. The best money I ever spent
was on a PVC cutter. Saves tons of time, and no "fuzzies" in the lines from
them being cut with a saw.

Hey Grumpy, what do you do for keeping your system clean? I had gotten some green slime in mine. Wondered how often something needed to be done to ensure clean drinking water. With white pvc water conditions aren't readily visible like in a bottle.
Tonight moved some kits to growout pen, well here the valve didn't work. So I unscrewed it out of the saddle and there was this long wormlike worm thingy stuck in the back of the valve. This thing had to be 30"+ long. I was thinking of running the water out maybe every 2 weeks but don't know if that is often enough.

Mine's a recirculating system, the water's constantly moving.
Twice, during the last 5 or 6 years, I've gotten what "pool and spa" people
call "White-Algae" in the system.

I usually pump out the barrels almost empty, and add a healthy dose of
bleach in the water. I run the pumps for about 5 minutes, then shut every
thing off. I'll start a "re-fill" with fresh water, turn on the circulating pump
along with the discharge pump. I'll run both for 10 or 15 minutes. Shut off
the discharge pump so the water level can rise until the tanks nearly full.

I then shut off the circulating pump to the watering lines, and kick the
discharge pump back on and pump the barrel dry. The hose to that pump
is shoved out a window and the water's drained out into the garden area.

PLUS.....weekly, I check on the barrels to make sure nothing's growing in
them again. It's a lot of work when something goes awry, but definitely
worth the effort.

Grumpy.

My system don't recirculate, so that won't work. When I had a float bucket and sent bleach through it goes on gravity and only flows through half the pipe. So it didn't clean it right.

Revisiting this again ... we've well discussed how to keep the water from freezing, but how do you keep it cool in the summer? We are having to empty and refill water bottles with cold water daily to get the rabbits drinking again. Their water gets so HOT and we are only getting hotter (we're running around 100, going to 106 next week :/ ) This is the next hang up on switching to an auto system.

TerriG":16f10d20 said:
Revisiting this again ... we've well discussed how to keep the water from freezing, but how do you keep it cool in the summer? We are having to empty and refill water bottles with cold water daily to get the rabbits drinking again. Their water gets so HOT and we are only getting hotter (we're running around 100, going to 106 next week :/ ) This is the next hang up on switching to an auto system.
I put ice cubes in the crocks and into the "flip open" tops of the bottles. I have to do that a couple of times a day. It's only a few months of the year for me here, but I don't mind :)

TerriG":mco7zjlt said:

My rabbitry is somewhat climate-controlled..... Meaning I've got A/C
units in place for extreme periods of heat. I've also built one of those
"cool-air" boxes seen on you-tube using a small fan, insulated box, and
ice. (works pretty good :p

I even built a large evap cooler a few summers ago and it worked good
for that "type" of heat we had. It was very low humidity, which was rare
for this neck of the woods. With our normal high-humidity, it's not
worked worth a flip.

I've got 2 large furnace fans elevated and exhausting hot air from near
the ceilings. Plus, I've got a soaker hose that's got a seep of water
running on top of the rabbitry roof. When that water comes down the
guttering, a fella could get a good shave off of it. It's that hot.

The water in the barrels keep a steady 80 degrees unless I close the feed
room door and crank on the A/C. That little unit can drop the temps to the
mid-60's pretty quick. I've even thought about putting a couple of my
herd bucks in there. It's an 8' X 12' room that's insulated to the max.

grumpy

Well, we put in the watering system today. It's not pretty :x but it works and that's all that matters. :lol:
011 (500x375) (2).jpg
The T's and nipples are from kw cages (https://www.kwcages.com/accessories/niv ... ystem.html) On a side note 1/2" in shc40 pvc = 3/4" in cpvc They are designed not to be compatible. But my DH found a 3/4-in x 1/2-in Dia Bushing CPVC Fitting that he shaved down to fit inside the T's, so that the cpvc we had would fit the T's.
012 (500x375).jpg
We attached the pipe outside the cage and wired it to the back. Didn't want to run the risk of one of the rabbits chewing through it. Plus our cages are singles and can be easily removed in the event a repair needs done. Plus squeezing my chunky self in to the cages for a repair is out of the question. :x :lol: :lol:
018 (500x375).jpg
We added an elbow to the return flow so it will disturb the water better and hopefully prevent freezing come this winter.
013 (500x375) (4).jpg
014 (500x375) (3).jpg
He loves the way it came together and is even thinking of all the other projects to come. :p :lol: :lol: <br /><br /> -- Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:29 pm -- <br /><br /> Here's the pump we used. (http://www.lowes.com/pd_59082-60084-DP2 ... Id=3036223) It was a return and we got it for 1/2 price.
017 (500x375).jpg

Grumpy, I love your tips and suggestions and hopefully you're still watching this - What are your thoughts on pressure regulators? They can be directly attached to a hose or spigot then the pvc line and lower the pressure so that they don't shoot water out of the nipples. I'm considering going that route after my move. I have NZW but I have only a few cages right now with plans to expand as I can. I live in Florida and while some winters pipes can freeze, it's extremely rare and doesn't happen if you supply SOME insulation/heat/moving water. Our biggest problem here is water becoming too hot, growing algae, or mineral deposits gumming up the works. I think your system would work for me too but at the same time I'm not sure as I do want something fully automatic that wont require me to refill it often, just flush the system/filters from time to time and check to make sure nothing fails. I saw the mention of float valves on this system design though and wondered what you meant by emptied within 24 hrs? Wouldn't the water be fresh in that sort of system if you use smaller containers as the float would refill as it empties but it is still being constantly cycled back to the reservoir?

Cathy.......

You need to get a covering over the open top of that barrel...asap.
It should have two small holes the diameter of your inlet and outlet
pipes. Plus a small Nick on the edge for the electric feed.

Having it open like that, dust and other "nasty's" will get into the
water and pollute it. Plus, your valves will start sticking. "MICE" are
notorious for getting in those open containers and drowning. If not
noticed in time........they sink.....and ROT. Not good.

Airborne dust will quickly accumulate and cause problems.

grumpy.

Back