WARNING, VERY GRAPHIC!!! (Ant Attack)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zee

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I went to check on the kits this morning, and I was horrified to see that 5 out of the 8 were dead and had succumbed to the attack of the red ants. :( :( :( I also had to cull the one in the middle because he was in REALLY BAD SHAPE, so, I am down to 2 kits now. :( I did a short video about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-3lZw861g4

These are the pictures of my current set-up guys. I could use and would certainly appreciate any suggestions for the eradication of the fire ants guys. I've already cleaned and disinfected the area and cages with vinegar and water. I also administered some tree tanglefoot on the legs of the cage and sprayed the area with some orange guard (All Organic Products). Thanks for your help in advance.

Attachments

• Current Rabbitry Set-up #1.JPG
    Current Rabbitry Set-up #1.JPG
    799.1 KB · Views: 2,966
  • CoCo & Her Nest Box.JPG
    CoCo & Her Nest Box.JPG
    653.7 KB · Views: 2,966
  • Left Side View Of CoCo & Her Nest Box.JPG
    Left Side View Of CoCo & Her Nest Box.JPG
    837.5 KB · Views: 2,966
  • Front View Of CoCo & Her Nest Box.JPG
    Front View Of CoCo & Her Nest Box.JPG
    901.7 KB · Views: 2,966
First of all, Zee, great video! Not that you lost the kits, of course, but the way you addressed it. "Part of having livestock". I am very impressed with the way you tackled it.

Those ants are one of the reasons I am so glad I no longer live in south Florida. Could you post a pic of your cage set up? Maybe someone could help you with some ideas on how to prevent this in the future?

So sorry about the kits. (hugs)

I just looked at the pics- nice set up!

To combat ants, I know people put a coffee type can half full of vegetable oil or something down, and then put the cage legs down into the can. I am not sure it's vegetable oil though, so hopefully someone will chime in with the correct liquid. It keeps the ants from being able to climb up the cage legs. As your cage legs appear to be short, maybe smaller cans would work.

We have hummingbird feeders on metal poles attached to our deck. The ants climb up onto the poles and get into the feeders. We (meaning hubby) smear some goop on the poles and the ants go away. When he gets home from work, I'll ask him what it is. Keep in mind, anything we smear is going to be safe for all other non-ant critters.

I'm so sorry about the kits Zee. Thats awful. :(
I love your set up though.

Zee, hubby spreads vaseline on the metal. He says that because of where you live, you might have to spread it every week or so until it cools off some. Hope this helps!

Excellent video, and great idea whoever posted about putting the legs in cans of veggie oil. I don't know if you can hang the cages?? Sorry I'm not much help thankfully we left the fire ants behind when we moved back from Arizona in my youth. Come move to Oregon :D

Love your set up and sorry about loosing the kits! I hope that it doesn't happen again, sounds like you have been given some awesome suggestions :)

I hate fire ants.

I asked our cousin how he dealt with fire ants in his garden. He spreads dry grits on the mounds. He said it doesn't always work, but it usually does. I have done it a few times, and I've seen significant success with it in our garden so far. You make sure and spread it when it is dry, and when it looks like it's going to be that way for a few days.

How about spreading around some diatomaceous earth? It gets into bugs joints and cuts them apart. I used it before when my dog had fleas and it killed them very quickly.

not sure if it would work for fire ants, but the ant people on-line will use baby powder (talc) mixed with rubbing alcohol to keep their ants in the ant colony. I know our ants won't cross that barrier.

Great video, zee! Very sorry for the loss of the kits! :(

Back