wait time before butchering (fenbendazole)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shazza

Reaction score
i figured it might be easier to make a new thread in case my question got buried etc.

a few posts down i wrote about how what i thought was e. cuniculi wiped out 16 of my growouts last week. i immediately began treating them with fenbendazole and continued treatment for the recommended 6 days as a preventative measure.

now, whatever took out my little ones never affected the older rabbits that lived in the same pen with the younger ones. i just took weights yesterday and several of them are big enough to butcher, and i would like to get that done pretty soon. does anyone know the amount of time after treating with fenbendazole before the rabbit can be eaten? the bottle i am using is for goats and says 6 weeks but rabbits are smaller/metabolize faster and their dosage is much much smaller so i'm assuming it won't be that long. i hope not. as fascinating as it would be to have a jar full of rabbit fetuses from them breeding each other i would rather not have to deal with that.

also, i'm having a hard time finding information about WHY one should wait before butchering. from what i understand it's mostly just the meat may be tainted with the medication. but in know fenbendazole is safe for humans too...is it really BAD to eat them? obviously i wouldn't sell them just to cover my ass, but if we just eat them, what would really happen?

It seems reasonably safe from a precursory search.

- it seems to have poor oral absorption, so if there is some residue in the meat, a fraction of that would reach your system. (What fraction I don't know... Didn't dig up the pharmacokinetic info)

- it has a pretty high LD 50, and reasonably few documented side effects, as it has low affinity for the mammalian version of it's protein target (It will, however, do bad things to lizards and birds). There are some concerns it may be a carcinogen long-term, but it sounds like evidence for that is limited to one study in female rats at current.

- there is apparently a whole community of people dosing themselves with it as a purported cure for chronic Lyme disease/strongyloides worms, etc. I didn't see a record of any fatalities, but did see the odd warning about liver enzymes issues - and this was at human-size therapeutic doses.

It seems okay, at least in the short term. Maybe best not to make it a dietary staple though. :)

Back