Virgin does and bucks struggling to get thento mate

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP.Bressan

Reaction score
Im new to rabbits and want to breed them for meat. I have a male and a female NZ and a female chocolate satin. The NZ are 7-8 months old and the satin is 7 months. Here's my problem. I've read the readiness to breed and nutrition that they need and the whole nine yards. Given them cider vinegar, fresh veggies 3-4 times a week and have been checking the females for readiness. Although I have not seen a purple vagina yet I have seen red engorged ones.
When I put the females with the male to mate the male is ready a rearing, but he never finishes. Now at first I thought it was the females weren't lifting but the last couple of times my satin has definitely lifted for him with no success.
Is there anything I can do to help my buckling out? And how long do I keep trying until he's destined for my freezer. Unfortunately I don't really have a line on new rabbits either so culling him would set me back till at least spring. The term "breed like rabbits" doesn't seem to be applying to me. Any advice to help the poor little guy out would be great

Back