virgin doe + virgin buck

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mckenziee7

Reaction score
I am trying to breed my 11 month old Mini Rex buck to my 6 month old Mini Rex doe. She isn't being receptive but he hasn't tried to breed with her. I have had them in his cage for over 30 min on 3 separate occasions. I want to show juniors for my fair in July. How do I get them to breed. They are in my garage that isn't heated. They have lighting all day from 7:30 am to 9:30 pm. They don't have heating unless it gets below 0 degrees here in Minnesota.

Have you checked to make sure that they're a buck and doe and not same sex? What color is the doe's vulva? Try putting her in his hutch and him in her hutch overnight and see in the morning if they're more interested. It sometimes works. 6 months is sometimes too early for certain does; one doe of mine wouldn't cooperate until she was 8 months old. She is due in March. :)

Her vulva is light pink but that shouldn't really matter right. I mean if they are gonna breed then they should breed. I'll try that next week. I am not really home over the weekend to do this

Mckenziee7":2ji8s6l0 said:
Her vulva is light pink but that shouldn't really matter right. I mean if they are gonna breed then they should breed. I'll try that next week. I am not really home over the weekend to do this

Actually it does matter a bit, the darker the better - that's a good indicator of how interested and receptive they are going to be... They can still get pregnant even if they weren't an active participant (the buck can hit the mark somehow, haven't quite figured it out... I saw one buck never get close b/c her tail was plastered to the cage floor, yet she kindled a month later), but the whole process is so much easier on everyone if she's willing.

Back