Register

Advertising options?

A forum to help find new homes for rabbits whose owners can no longer provide care for them. Everyone can read, but you must have 20 posts to participate in this forum.
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 87,493.00

Advertising options?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:06 pm

Can anyone suggest some good sites to advertise rabbits for sale? I am thinking of using CL as well, but would like to know what terms fire-up the ARA's... selling Rex for use as breeders for show and/or meat producers seems rather risky... but I want people to know that Cals and NZs aren't their only options. :? How can I be circumspect in my wording but still get the message out that Rex are good for meat?
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 3,611.00

Re: Advertising options?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby caroline » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:38 pm

In the SF area CL you may as well forget advertising ANY rabbits or any dogs, in the farm and garden CL. I tried using all KINDS of different language and it didn't seem to matter. Some of the posters seem to make it into a contest my putting in phrases like "Contact me before the flaggers get me!" The ads get removed rapidly and so the only possibility for those who do want to use it is to put your phone# in & hope that someone writes it down before the flaggers see your ad. The Monterey bay CL isn't quite as quick and ads stay up there better.
I have had more success with using the Ebay classified livestock section. So far, no flagging or harassment. I guess you can try it and see what your experience is.
(\__/)(\(\ (Y) () ()
(='.'=)(-.-)('.')(^;^)
(")_(")(")(")(")(")(")(")
Rancho Madonna Rex Rabbits ~ Love that brown gene!

BunnyBucks: 87,493.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:50 pm

I see rabbits and dogs in our livestock section all the time, and they don't get flagged. We live in the most conservative county in Ca, I think... not many LLL's here! (Liberals-Liberating-Livestock) :mrgreen:

I'll check out Ebay too. Thanks!
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

BunnyBucks: 270.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Hucksdaddy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:58 pm

I can list you on my rabbit breeders directory.
Information I will need:
-your name and/or rabbitry name
-phone number and/or email you want listed
- city and state
-breeds you usually have available
Email this information to jason@therabbitpodcast.com

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 31,400.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:31 pm

Try Hoobly or Kijiji...also Rabbitswap.com is a new one that is just getting going...

http://www.oneacrefarmrabbits.com
~A micro-attempt at self-sufficiency~

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 10,839.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Cattle Cait » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:35 pm

I love Hoobly, and I know you're not on Facebook but the groups on there are great for advertising.
Caitlin C
Webberville, MI
The Domestication of Cattle Cait
http://cattlecait.blogspot.com/

"In Cattle Cait country, you not feed rabbit, but rabbit feed you."

BunnyBucks: 262.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby palmettogirl » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:49 am

Cattle Cait wrote:I love Hoobly, and I know you're not on Facebook but the groups on there are great for advertising.

I have to agree with Hoobly. When I do a search for rabbits in my area on Google this site usually comes up first.

BunnyBucks: 9,659.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby ohiogoatgirl » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:47 pm

i just found hoobly not long ago. thats where i found my rabbits at. i plan on using it to sell kits later on. also ebay, bestfarmbuys.com and local newspaper, etc.

i have not seen flagging or anything on my areas craigslist for rabbits. but it may be happening and i just didnt see it.

good luck :)
Sometimes I think about how insane people are these days... I mean I am crazy.. but I am the good crazy.. My crazy makes crafts and feeds animals and makes adorable baby animals and feeds people...

FIND ME ON YOUTUBE! http://www.youtube.com/user/girlwalkswi ... ature=mhee
CHECK OUT MY ETSY! http://www.etsy.com/shop/ImperfectlyCreated

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 4,276.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby WildWolf » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:20 pm

in my area, hoobly just isn't really popular. I looked for "rex rabbits" and found only posts from a year or 2 ago. I think that maybe having an add for show/pet/brood and a different add for meat rabbits might work. At least that way if your meat add gets flagged, your other add will still be open.

__________ Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:20 pm __________

haha, I just realized how old this post was. Oh well! :) I'd still like to hear some suggestions... I'm worried about advertising meat rabbits as well.
The Wabbit Warren- warren of wonderful wabbits.

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 61.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby Northern Sky » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:37 am

I found my rabbits on CL, bestfarmbuys.com, and Hoobly.
Northern Sky Rabbitry
French Angoras & Silver Fox

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Belgium
BunnyBucks: 3,207.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby DogCatMom » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:37 am

caroline wrote:In the SF area CL you may as well forget advertising ANY rabbits or any dogs, in the farm and garden CL. I tried using all KINDS of different language and it didn't seem to matter. Some of the posters seem to make it into a contest my putting in phrases like "Contact me before the flaggers get me!" The ads get removed rapidly and so the only possibility for those who do want to use it is to put your phone# in & hope that someone writes it down before the flaggers see your ad. The Monterey bay CL isn't quite as quick and ads stay up there better.
I have had more success with using the Ebay classified livestock section. So far, no flagging or harassment. I guess you can try it and see what your experience is.

I tested this over the weekend. I found approx. 100 announcements in the SF Area Craigslist Farm & Garden section with the key word "rabbit" or "rabbits." These covered everything from a family in Concord offering (for sale! cheap! $5! we trapped them in our back yard!) rabbits of unknown origin/health as PETS :furious: to a family in Castro Valley offering (in early September, when the RARE Dwarf Netherlands bunnies will be 6 weeks old!) babies for "adoption" at $something each to an outfit in Hollister offering "Organic Rabbit," price unspecified, but graphic (and unexpected) photo included.

The NotAllThere Family's notice about trapped rabbits has disappeared; the 6-week-olds are still available for "reservation"; and the meat operation has a new announcement--maybe they post one every two or three days?

So there does NOT seem to be an active Flag system right now on the S.F. Area Craigslist, at least not in Farm & Garden.

Then I looked under Pets for the key word "rabbit" or "rabbits." There were many announcements here, too, just not as many as under "F&G." Several of them were "Wonderful Rabbit Cage for Living Room--Rabbit included for free"--$50; "Beginner Set-Up (Cage, water bottle, litter box, toys, etc.)--Rabbit if you'd like one" don't remember how much, but not too much.

The Dwarf Netherlands people are in "Pets," too: "Now accepting deposits to hold any one of these babies!" Yep, I just now copy/pasted that sentence. :o

This announcement went up today in "Pets":

"Bunnies For Sale.

"Lionheads with pedigree. 1 Frosted Pearl VC Buck and 1 Black VM Doe.
"Super Nice Manes!! 10 Weeks old

"Netherland Dwarf with pedigree." They're out in the Valley, north of Stockton on Highway 99. At least their bunnies are 10 weeks old! (Price not specified.)

And there's a heart-breaking plea from Labrador Rescue for a home for a 6-year-old Yellow Lab female whose owner gave her to someone who then gave her to a third person, who dumped her in the parking lot at a shelter. :( "Greta" was in a home with a RABBIT and was very trustworthy with the RABBIT, which is how this announcement showed up in my search.

So whoever *was* flagging the rabbit notices on CL must be on summer break! or something....

BunnyBucks: 48,702.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby skysthelimit » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:36 am

Well since the original post was a year ago, maybe they moved, LOL.

CL invites crazies around here, people who want stuff for free.
German Shepherds*Rush Hour Rabbitry*Rex *Jersey Wooly*French Angora
http://www.foursquaremicrofarm.us

2 years of membership2 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 3,797.00

Post Number:#13  Unread postby jimmywalt » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:10 am

I realize that this thread is rather older, so I'd like to BUMP it to see if anyone else has newer idea.

We started with rabbits early this year and CL is "okay" but sometimes takes time even for kits.

Earlier this week I registered with some local "garage sale" spots on Facebook and within hours sold 2 rabbits!! Seemed like the place to be...... so I listed 2 more and they haven't moved. So I can't tell if Facebook is good or not.

The Hoobly in this area isn't active much at all so that doesn't seem to be an option.

In my opinion people have to "search" for things on Craigslist, so unless they specifically are looking for a bunny they aren't searching it (or catching it if it's a new listing). Also recently people are freaks in the Farm & Garden and delete my posts, so my only option is "Pets".

It would seem that Facebook would be better because it shows up on everyone's news feed that's part of the group. This works well if it's on their phone and it seems everyone is "HOOKED" to FB 24/7. Yet the downside is that my post gets buried in no time, so I try to bump it back to the top, but it's a never ending process.

So I'm looking for other suggestions too......... Please post.

Thank you.