Register

One of those times

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,402.00

One of those times

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Maleficent » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:32 pm

So I thought Dutch were the breed I wanted to work with, but they have been nothing but headache after headache. I have only one good mother of a doe to my name, the daughter I kept is proving to be an idiot. She had one litter so far that I thought she miscarried or I palpated her wrong as she never nested. Was doing some deep cleaning of the area and found a dead baby tucked away from her cage and in the corner of the building. I have since transferred her into a solid bottom to avoid this future issue. (Currently rebred just waiting for her to pop, she is pretty big so must be a big litter)

Every female dutch I get seems to either be idiots or complete witches. I'm having better luck mothering wise from a dwarf mutt female that had her first litter at 6yrs old! Only birthed 2 little ones but she did a stellar job with minimal help from myself!

I'm thinking about switching to either English lops (I have a friend who raises them and as such she can help me) or English Angora (I know they require tons of grooming but I'm up to the task, I already groom practically my entire extended family's animals as it is)

I'm just at the crossroads of not knowing what I want to do

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 4,053.00

Re: One of those times

Post Number:#2  Unread postby SableSteel » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:01 pm

Dutch are normally pretty good of mothers, maybe you should try to find another line
Show Breeder & ARBA Registrar

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,402.00

Re: One of those times

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Maleficent » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:01 am

SableSteel wrote:Dutch are normally pretty good of mothers, maybe you should try to find another line

Maybe, at this point I just don't know if it worth it. My only buck while not show able due to an old tor injury that healed wrong is a big gorgeous boy. He is currently on a diet of sorts as he has gotten chunky.