Register

Rabbits running free

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 85.00

Rabbits running free

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Castielle » Fri May 11, 2018 12:19 pm

Ugh, I just need to vent!
I was headed to the store the other day when I passed an open field next to the very busy road. I happened to notice about 5 rabbits running around, chasing each other. I pulled over, assuming they were dumped by someone, but when I walked through that field I saw at least 30 rabbits (yong kits about 3 weeks up to full grown adults), they’d clearly come from a house that bordered the field as we saw them squeezing back and forward through the fence around the house. As I walked around, trying to figure out just how many there were, I found several dead, rotting kits (probably around 5 weeks old) :angry: It was pretty infuriating to say the least. I can only imagine it’s just going to get worse and worse with constant, uncontrolled breeding. Someone had put a couple of broken dog carriers in the field for the rabbits, and I found some food in a parking lot next to some little businesses that bordered the field, but I keep thinking about how dangerous it is. If something were to spook them into the road, they’d get hit for sure, not to mention all the other risks.

The following user would like to thank Castielle for this post
Zass

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 36,445.00

Re: Rabbits running free

Post Number:#2  Unread postby akane » Fri May 11, 2018 1:04 pm

Someone could be free ranging with minimal care, which can be very irresponsible, or some people may just be trying to care for previously released rabbits. Often once a group appears people will keep drive by dumping more. It's resulted in several feral populations of domestic rabbits becoming established in North America in recent years. Usually they get so destructive business or property owners eventually want them disposed of. Of course if enough people see them and know about them killing all the cute bunnies leads to a huge controversy, tons of rescues expending their resources trying to keep them alive, and a whole lot of headaches for everyone involved.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

The following user would like to thank akane for this post
michaels4gardens

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 85.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Castielle » Fri May 11, 2018 4:01 pm

akane wrote:Someone could be free ranging with minimal care, which can be very irresponsible, or some people may just be trying to care for previously released rabbits. Often once a group appears people will keep drive by dumping more. It's resulted in several feral populations of domestic rabbits becoming established in North America in recent years. Usually they get so destructive business or property owners eventually want them disposed of. Of course if enough people see them and know about them killing all the cute bunnies leads to a huge controversy, tons of rescues expending their resources trying to keep them alive, and a whole lot of headaches for everyone involved.

I wouldn’t be surprised if more people have been dumping there too. The first 5 rabbits seemed like a distinct group(mother and 4 babies perhaps, they were definitely young) , and there was enough color variation that there is no way they’re all related (black, Vienna/mismarks, torts, sable point, orange, chin, otters, martens, broken, solids, etc) and it looked like a variety of breeds as well. A few looked like Netherland Dwarfs, some lionheads, a couple large breed mixes. But some of them definitely came from the other yard, they had some hutches and cages that were empty and left open that were visible from the field. My guess is they got some, decided to free range them, but they started having babies and digging out, so they just let them go and stopped bothering with them.
It’s just frustrating that people can be so irresponsible, it’s people like this that give breeders a bad name, whereas most of us breed with purpose (show, meat, etc) and carefully manage our herds. *sigh*
I’m sure I’m preaching to the choir, it’s just been bothering me all day. And there’s no easy fix at this point

The following user would like to thank Castielle for this post
michaels4gardens, Thorn, Zass

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 10,061.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sat May 12, 2018 7:13 am

unfortunately , this is exactly why horrible diseases are eventually introduced by government agencies or businesses -as a control measure, - diseases that threaten the very existence of all domestic rabbits.
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

The following user would like to thank michaels4gardens for this post
SixGun, Zass

2 years of membership2 years of membership
South Africa Female
BunnyBucks: 1,313.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby olafthebunny » Mon May 14, 2018 3:45 am

Ugh! I hate this! I keep seeing things like that all over! and not only is it not good to have a ton of bunnies everywhere breeding all the time and their kits dying, they fight together and kill each other!
Equestrian, Rabbit Owner, Author, Artist, Crocheter, and follower of Christ.

The following user would like to thank olafthebunny for this post
michaels4gardens, Zass

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,637.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Deer Heart » Fri May 25, 2018 5:49 pm

Do you have any local animal control agencies? I'd give them the address and let them look into it now, before the situation gets even worse. They can attempt to go after the possible owner(s) and if that fails, most likely go into trapping and removing the animals. It's never too late to be proactive.