Register

When it rains it pours

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,402.00

When it rains it pours

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Maleficent » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:23 pm

Sorry that I've been gone for so long, but ugh this month has been frustrating for me! I lost a total of like 10 kits across multiple litters from what I call floppy kit syndrome. (Fine one minute and then floppy and squealing the next) I ended up culling them because despite my best efforts they just were not making any recovery. This wasn't all in one go either. It would be like one or two kits every other day to a couple days. And actually three of them died because one was squished by mom on accident (I take blame here as I left the nest box in longer then I should and mom started laying in it) and at least two others were dragged out of their nest and froze over night.

Haven't experienced floppy kit syndrome in a while and just had two litters born, one was a litter of 2 that had a ftt/peanut as one of them and one was a fat litter of 7 mismarked meat dutch born on Valentines day. So I took the single baby who is a week older then the litter of 7 and nestled her in among them. Mom didn't even notice. (Her own mom just didn't produce enough milk and ended up drying up completely the night before the litter of 7 was born)

Then just now my neighbors dog broke into my garage and killed two of the four of my remaining show Dutch litter and had a young rabbit from a different cage in its mouth still alive but shaken badly before I caught him. I knew I had to reduce my numbers but i didn't want to have it happen like this!

Site Admin
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 60,453.00

Re: When it rains it pours

Post Number:#2  Unread postby MaggieJ » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:36 pm

Horrible time for you! I'm so sorry.

I've never seen or even heard much about floppy kit syndrome. Is this what you mean?
https://www.unusualpetvets.com.au/news- ... prognosis/
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

1 year of membership
United States of America

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Maleficent » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:55 pm

MaggieJ wrote:Horrible time for you! I'm so sorry.

I've never seen or even heard much about floppy kit syndrome. Is this what you mean?
https://www.unusualpetvets.com.au/news- ... prognosis/

Yeah some of the symptoms there sound familiar, but I had barely 2wk old kits affected by it as well. They were fine the night before and then the next morning two were stiff but floppy and still alive. One improved before I left for work (had moved the entire litter inside by this point) only to revert and get worse by the time I returned home. Then I had three kits from an older litter (was maybe 5 or 6 weeks) that suffered the same thing. 2 roughly around the same time as the younger kits and one much later and it was eating and drinking just fine before I found it floppy one morning.

A fellow rabbit raiser suggested cocci as a possible suspect but I autopsied an older kit shortly after I dispatched it. I saw no signs of cocci in the liver or the intestine. The organs were nice and healthy looking heart and lungs included. On a side note it was interesting to see the intestines still squirming after I opened it up. I had dispatched and started autopsing in such succession the nerves in the body was still firing.

I'm most upset about losing all the really nice prospects from my show litter! I only have mismarks left. Both are minor mismarks (the black seeps over one's elbow and the other has a crooked mask) and the one with the crooked mask is the biggest of the two remaining and the only girl. I'm watching her and hoping she has decent type as I need a replacement female. I had to dispatch one of my female dutch because she failed at being a mother twice (no nest, chewed babies multiple times) and ended up breaking her own damn back shortly after birthing her second litter)

Though I have video of the now thriving singleton I need to share. It's quite attached to me as I carried it around in my bra almost 24/7 after it lost its sibling and had trouble maintaining body heat. It comes toddling over to me whenever it senses me nearby. I'm quite attached to this little baby.

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 9,870.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:43 pm

do you live near a big hog farm? are any of your other animals showing any weird symptoms? ...
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

1 year of membership
United States of America

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Maleficent » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:58 pm

I live in town, and no the cats are fine. All adult rabbits are fine and the surviving babies from that weird episode are fine as well. Even the dogs on either side of us are fine.

The following user would like to thank Maleficent for this post
michaels4gardens

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Post Number:#6  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:22 pm

Maleficent wrote:I live in town, and no the cats are fine. All adult rabbits are fine and the surviving babies from that weird episode are fine as well. Even the dogs on either side of us are fine.

If it is not feed toxin related or pseudorabies from a hog farm- I am clueless. I have no experience with this [thank God] I think the theory that it is related to EC is a stretch - but you could feed some garlic or onion tops if you see it again - and find out if it helps.

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 3,858.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:24 am

I will second the weekly treat of green onion (scallions) or chives to your rabbits.... not sure what it does, but If I don't do it weaning enteritis is a serious issue in the barn... Worse in damp and spring fall .... <3
Breeding Magpie Harlequin Rabbits for Showing, Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/
https://www.facebook.com/Growing-Urban- ... 749253819/
https://www.facebook.com/AmherstburgFarmersMarket/

1 year of membership
United States of America

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Maleficent » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:10 pm

Thank you guys, I'll give the green onion tops. See how that goes. Could I give them to all my rabbits as a prevention type thing?

Site Supporter

Post Number:#9  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:35 pm

Maleficent wrote:Thank you guys, I'll give the green onion tops. See how that goes. Could I give them to all my rabbits as a prevention type thing?

yes