Register

Doe with two strikes

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,290.00

Doe with two strikes

Post Number:#1  Unread postby ozemba » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:22 am

I get home from a night shift and what do I find; cold, hard kits scattered. They are now warm dead kits. It only got down to 50 last night. They were all snuggled in the back when I checked on them before I left. I would have shelved them if it had been colder.

They were two days old. Second litter, first was all doa.

She is the only bew I have and I've been looking forward to these litters twice now and just UGH!

*sigh* maybe it's just not meant to be.

Site Admin
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 60,263.00

Re: Doe with two strikes

Post Number:#2  Unread postby MaggieJ » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:37 am

Something may have scared her and caused her to scatter the kits--it may not have been her fault. A DOA first litter is not all that uncommon. Given that the two failures were not the same, I'd give her another try. If you really want kits from her, I suggest you shelve the next litter as soon as she kindles.

Site Supporter
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 140.00

Re: Doe with two strikes

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Dani4Hedgies » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:03 am

Ok newbie here I have read about shelving several times now and am wondering what that is? I'm thinking it where you remove the kits from the Doe and only bring them back to be nursed twice a day? But then I have also read about putting a shelf in the cage to allow the Doe to get away from the kits? Please help thank you-Dani