Register

Unreliable Feed suppluer

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,402.00

Unreliable Feed suppluer

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Maleficent » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:52 pm

How do I start this, last Thursday I contacted this lady I needed to in order to get my next shipment of feed for my rabbits. I honestly should have ordered sooner but I have been busy caring for my grandmother as I mentioned in a separate post. I had enough to last for a few days if I could not get it right away. The lady reassured me I would get it on Thursday when I ordered it so I sent her the payment ASAP literally an hour later once I had the money in my bank.

Thursday came and went, contacted her on Friday asking for an estimated delivery date as it was not delivered Thursday like I was told. Told me I could expect it that day or the day after, Saturday, and I was understanding for the possible delay as she had told me she was ill and she lives 25minutes out of town in the next town. Friday came and went thought nothing of it as I was told I could get it Saturday. Saturday came and went with no sign of my feed. I was getting kind of dangerously low and desperate, but I forgot to message her on Sunday due to it being busy.

Yesterday morning I followed up with her and was reassured I would get it THAT day. Followed up a little later that afternoon and was told I would still get it yesterday as I had ran out of feed by that point. When I contacted her again later that night saying I'm desperate and out of feed I need that delivery.

She condescendingly told me "bunny can eat grass hay and dandelions" then even had the gull to tell me I could go to the breeder I am on good terms with and take her bag of feed as she knows she has a bag. What if that is the breeder's last bag though? I don't want to take from her animals. I want MY bag of feed not someone else's and deprive them of feed for their herd. I keep getting the same excuse that they are sick too. They are 'supposed' to be in town today to do chores for some animals they have at the other breeder's place and I am supposed to get it today. I'll see if that holds true. I'm about ready to contest the payment on PayPal.

1 year of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 355.00

Re: Unreliable Feed suppluer

Post Number:#2  Unread postby UFCreel » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:46 am

Better find a new feed suppler.

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 3,853.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:56 am

I agree! Maybe it's time to change feed suppliers!
You gave them almost a week to get the feed.... :evil:
Breeding Magpie Harlequin Rabbits for Showing, Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/
https://www.facebook.com/Growing-Urban- ... 749253819/
https://www.facebook.com/AmherstburgFarmersMarket/

1 year of membership
United States of America

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Maleficent » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:21 am

Good news is that I finally got my bag of feed last night. They plopped it on the back porch with no knock or doorbell ring to indicate that it was delivered. :/

Anyone in iowa have a local feed supplier suggestions? I would switch back to H & N Rowe but I have heard from others they have been having trouble with it affecting fertility in their herds. And I really liked the girl who used to deliver my feed. She was really friendly.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 36,075.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby akane » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:31 pm

What end of Iowa? The state does vary and you are actually better off talking to nebraska people about feed stores and brand dealers if you are to the west because what companies and mills are used kind of swaps from IL/eastern IA to NE/western IA at some point a bit west of central. If you are really far north you are more likely to get the Minnesota/WI company overlap with some quality brands you won't hear the existence of 150-200miles farther south. If I went to the border for more champagnes all of a sudden instead of manna pro and kent everyone would be feeding pen pals. Where down here now you pretty much can assume everyone buying from a feed store has manna pro.

I've even had such issues with feed stores. They kept giving my pre-ordered bags from kent to some large breeder that supplied pet stores with lops. In eastern Iowa I joined the manna pro group when theisens opened. They often only carry gro formula in the spring and summer which is annoying and I gave up on it for the 16% formula but it's consistently without corn unlike some people who get contaminated bags in their area. Iowa City and Cedar Rapids almost never run out and it's never had quality issues of mold or contamination. Kent feed stores are widespread in small towns and the product is perfectly fine with the rabbits not having an issue. It was just the West Liberty store (between muscatine and Iowa city) kept giving my bags away. Personally I've had no luck with single person dealers. I was getting guinea pig pellets and rat blocks that way because neither are in feed stores here but it was not reliable and marked up worse than the stores. Just don't touch the stuff at orcheln's....... The quality is whatever the heck they decide to make it and let it sit around for this year.

In desperation between kent and manna pro availability I did use horse pellets for several years. The only thing I found is the fat content is higher and the hay content is lower so you need to be feeding grass hay to balance it or it's not as good of idea and grass hay in Iowa I call weed hay. You have to look for quality sheep raisers for grass hay and not horse hay because they all want richer hay. If in driving range of homestead and you feed hay or want a backup feed source his certified organic, trace mineral treated, hand weed picked fields of hay ranging from mostly grass to mostly clover/alfalfa (he'll go over the bales and pick out exactly what you want) is $10/50lbs. While you can get $2 bales around it won't be 1/4th as useful nutritionally or fresh as his hay. If you've got a bale of quality hay you can grab a bag of oats and a bag of goat/horse loose mineral mix (or break some soft, not hard trace, mineral blocks apart) and continue raising rabbits without interruption while you yell at feed dealers around here. I was so happy when theisens opened even if they kept dropping the gro formula and I did have to get nutrena once but at least they always have some rabbit pellets and they aren't the mystery brands in orcheln's.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

1 year of membership
United States of America

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Maleficent » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:08 am

akane wrote: Iowa City and Cedar Rapids almost never run out and it's never had quality issues of mold or contamination. Kent feed stores are widespread in small towns and the product is perfectly fine with the rabbits not having an issue. It was just the West Liberty store (between muscatine and Iowa city) kept giving my bags away. Personally I've had no luck with single person dealers. I was getting guinea pig pellets and rat blocks that way because neither are in feed stores here but it was not reliable and marked up worse than the stores. Just don't touch the stuff at orcheln's....... The quality is whatever the heck they decide to make it and let it sit around for this year.

In desperation between kent and manna pro availability I did use horse pellets for several years. The only thing I found is the fat content is higher and the hay content is lower so you need to be feeding grass hay to balance it or it's not as good of idea and grass hay in Iowa I call weed hay. You have to look for quality sheep raisers for grass hay and not horse hay because they all want richer hay. If in driving range of homestead and you feed hay or want a backup feed source his certified organic, trace mineral treated, hand weed picked fields of hay ranging from mostly grass to mostly clover/alfalfa (he'll go over the bales and pick out exactly what you want) is $10/50lbs. While you can get $2 bales around it won't be 1/4th as useful nutritionally or fresh as his hay. If you've got a bale of quality hay you can grab a bag of oats and a bag of goat/horse loose mineral mix (or break some soft, not hard trace, mineral blocks apart) and continue raising rabbits without interruption while you yell at feed dealers around here. I was so happy when theisens opened even if they kept dropping the gro formula and I did have to get nutrena once but at least they always have some rabbit pellets and they aren't the mystery brands in orcheln's.

I'm in CR, or around the CR area