Register

Much more sad and soul crushing then hopping mad :(

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,402.00

Much more sad and soul crushing then hopping mad :(

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Maleficent » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:49 am

So I was visiting my local breeder I am friends with and out of curiosity she let me see her set ups for her g-pigs and her set ups for her rabbits. This is going to be more sad then mad as I feel bad for her and just wanted somewhere I could vent for her.

She has been working hard the past two years to get a velveteen lion head (mini Rex crossed with lion head) if that is what she called them. After two years of back and forth crossing she finally got a decent doe that she was proud of and was going to be her real jumping point for this project. Which is where my pregnant lion head comes in, we were both hopeful of a decent buck out of this litter that she could breed the girl to.

Back to the main story I just wanted to lay down some basic information, anyway we went out to see her set up and we visited the area that is basically deemed her 'daughter's' area where she has a leanto with several rabbit cages and one grow-out pen just outside it. I had to move my car for her real quick and it wasn't until I was enterting a minute behind her that I heard her horrified gasp. Her grow-out pen had several dead and at the time and none were from predation.

She has been busy working 12hr days for the past 4 days and as such her daughter insisted on taking on all the chores herself, which was fine as her husband had reassured her that he would check in to make sure everything was being done properly.

Long story short since we have been having some temperature extremes in our area she theorized it was a combination of heat stroke and dehydration from improperly filled bottles that took her stock. After she had her kids clean out the hutch I could just sense the fury and sorrow in her when her son popped back in to give the final census on who died, her velveteen lion head project being one of the casualties. She gave her daughter a long firm talking to about if she was getting overwhelmed or having issues she should have came to her mother for help as that was pure neglect and they do not neglect their animals.

Which in turn means there is much more hope and wishing that she gets something decent from my girls pregnancy now to get her back on her feet for this project though now she REALLY regrets culling that one doe's mom. If she still had the mom at least she would have had a firmer foothold and wouldn't have to be restarting from scratch. There is also some hope from her sister's side as well as she apparently has some stock related to the doe that passed.

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 802.00

Re: Much more sad and soul crushing then hopping mad :(

Post Number:#2  Unread postby DaytonHillRabbits » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:32 am

That is a shame. Unfortunately as I have learned (with a 12 and SIXTEEN YEAR OLD).. they are lazy and will cut corners or completely neglect their chores altogether regardless of the suffering they cause. I now do all my own care on my rabbits unless the 12 year old wants to fill bottles for me while I'm right there feeding etc.

I hope she's able to get back on her feet with your litter coming.. such a let down.

1 year of membership
United States of America

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Maleficent » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:06 am

Dayton it was a big let down as I was excited to help her along with her project especially since she has been really nice to me and basically took me under her wing in a way. Because of this turn of events she can only speculate that her daughter was overwhelmed by the sheer number of her own breeding projects and is going to force her to cut out a few of them. One possibility being their hollands as the daughter is showing little to no interest in them anymore.

1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,765.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:51 am

I live far and it's a bit unrealistic, but I have 3 baby astrex lionhead right now if she'd want em. If she pays the shipping fees I'll give em for free (shipping fees are rly expensive) astrex is a rex based mutation so maybe she'd like em?
http://kimitsukouseki.wixsite.com/bunbun-stories/2017-05-30-evatresor

But that's rly sad. I wish her luck in re-establishing her herd

The following user would like to thank KimitsuKouseki for this post
Maleficent, Silver Willow

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 80.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby CapellaFarm » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:36 pm

Is DaytonHills from Dayton, Ohio? I'm in Dayton and I have a male astrex vlop. He's just a baby now so not sure if he will lose his curls. Would be up to sharing him as a breeder if anyone is interested (as long as the ladies are healthy--he was expensive.)

1 year of membership
United States of America

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Maleficent » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:05 pm

CapellaFarm wrote:Is DaytonHills from Dayton, Ohio? I'm in Dayton and I have a male astrex vlop. He's just a baby now so not sure if he will lose his curls. Would be up to sharing him as a breeder if anyone is interested (as long as the ladies are healthy--he was expensive.)

Thank you for the offer but she wants Astrex Lionheads or lionhead x Mini Rex crosses. I don't think she wants to introduce lop in there as it adds in another factor to deal with. :D

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 80.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby CapellaFarm » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:41 pm

Oh that makes sense.

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 870.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby hotzcatz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:32 am

It's too late for this tragedy, but having piped in water may keep it from happening again. Not having to deal with water bottles makes taking care of a herd of bunnies much easier. Not sure of how to keep the pipes from freezing in the winter (we don't do freeze here) but for the summer when the water is really important, having it piped in may save a few buns.
Hula Bunny Yarn from Hillside Farm Hawaii
http://www.hillsidefarmhawaii.com