Register

Can I get some help? Please

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
2 years of membership2 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 1057
Joined: December 4, 2014
Location: North Carolina
United States of America Female
Thanks: 213
Thanked: 63 in 56 posts
BunnyBucks: 6,847.00

Can I get some help? Please

Post Number:#1  Unread postby ButtonsPalace » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:24 am


So my neighbors are moving out today and I highly doubt they plan to take their rabbit. I need a nice way to basically tell them I ain't doing it.
Now I have several reasons as to why
1. She's sick. Possibly Snuffles. She's far far away from my rabbits but I've said if she gets left I'm culling her and showering afterwards I'm not taking any chances. The only reason she isn't dead already is because I found out they were moving today so I brought her to them.
2. I don't have the time to waste on a sick rabbit. Nor do I have the feed.
3. IMHO she's a waste. I feel like I need to be reimbursed at least a bag of rabbit food. All my does are being bred or are pregnant or they are still growing. But she. She is a special rabbit if you know what I mean. So I can't breed her.
They consider me a kid which is funny since I'm almost 20 and have had more than enough adult experience seeing as I had to immediately grow up at about 6 or 7 when my parents split up. I'm not going to be treated like a kid this time and be "told" I'll be caring for their rabbit. This time their gonna be told to figure it out themselves. Just nicer.

I'm unsure how to word what I feel without sounding like a complete jerk. I wanna be kinda nice but still get my point across.

__________July 7th, 2016, 8:24 am __________

My main issue being the part where I work in that they won't be taking any rabbit food of mine because I don't have the feed to give them for her. They need to get their own bag.
@Happydalerabbits on Facebook :)

2 years of membership2 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 1145
Joined: February 26, 2015
Location: South TX
United States of America Female
Thanks: 84
Thanked: 139 in 129 posts
BunnyBucks: 6,307.00

Re: Can I get some help? Please

Post Number:#2  Unread postby macksmom98 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:01 am


Sounds like you have a plan.....what are you asking for help for exactly? Its not your responsibility, and if they leave her after moving you could call animal control and have her removed, if they will come on private property. As far as a bag of feed goes, you probably won't get that back. So I would expect that to happen and quit feeding pellets if finances are an issue.
Last edited by macksmom98 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

The following user would like to thank macksmom98 for this post
ButtonsPalace

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 16340
Joined: December 16, 2009
Location: South Eastern Ontario
Canada Female
Thanks: 688
Thanked: 2302 in 1792 posts
BunnyBucks: 58,643.00

Re: Can I get some help? Please

Post Number:#3  Unread postby MaggieJ » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:25 am


You need to be civil but very firm. The rabbit is theirs and they need to take it with them. Maybe say something along the lines of "I didn't mind helping you out with the rabbit for awhile, as a favour, but I'm not willing to do it anymore. You need to take the rabbit with you when you go."

Chances are pretty good they will leave the rabbit behind. You could wait a few days and then cull it. If they ever ask what happened to it, simply say: "It died. I told you before you moved that it was sick."

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
ButtonsPalace

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 933
Joined: November 12, 2012
Location: Glenville, West Virginia
United States of America Female
Thanks: 22
Thanked: 185 in 159 posts
BunnyBucks: 4,847.00

Re: Can I get some help? Please

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Prisma » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:28 am


Simply put:

"I'm sorry that you're having to move and to insist you need to decide what to do with your rabbit. I can't offer any food/cage/supplies myself as I'm strapped as is. I know its hard, but this is also a big concern as she's not healthy. She could have some thing that could cause me to have to put down every single rabbit I have or some one else if she's just given away. I'm worried about my own rabbits as is, I'm already afraid it might be too late for some of them. I won't know for several weeks if any of them have caught it or maybe not even until they are stressed, rabbits are fragile but good at hiding problems until they are practically dead or really really bad off. She is sick with some thing, I can't afford to have her vetted for you. She cannot be responsibly given to some one else, they could end up unknowingly spreading it to many other babies. Rabbits just simply don't get colds like we do, any thing sick wise is very serious...life and death. If you can't deal with her today, please let me know and I will. But she can't stay here with me.


Direct, to the point, and nicest possible. I wouldn't be so nice....I'd simply say get your rabbit, its sick, I've taken enough chances. You need to have it vetted or put down, but I'm not fitting the bill for your animal any more. I can't feed it or take care of it, I've got too much going on. It may already be too late considering the other sneezer then her. There is not always snot, there is not always sneezing together...and again snuffles is a CATCH ALL term for every thing that has either and most people do not understand it can be highly contagious and deadly let alone the many different illnesses it can actually be.

IF it were me, I would also ask for some one else to be present AND have them sign some thing saying they give you the rabbit to do with as they see fit. That way, they can't get mad and call AC swearing you stole their rabbit and killed it...I've seen it happen and have had people try it on me unfortunately ugh.

*should be saying give you the rabbit to do with as you see fit, not them. Got a bit ahead of thought there lol.*
Last edited by Prisma on Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit the Rabbitry on the web @ http://prismaticrabbitry.wixsite.com/prismatic

Specializing in Mini Rex for showing (tri). Select few Netherland Dwarfs just for fun.
Located near Glenville, West Virginia

The following user would like to thank Prisma for this post
ButtonsPalace, MaggieJ

2 years of membership2 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 1145
Joined: February 26, 2015
Location: South TX
United States of America Female
Thanks: 84
Thanked: 139 in 129 posts
BunnyBucks: 6,307.00

Re: Can I get some help? Please

Post Number:#5  Unread postby macksmom98 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:33 am


Thats a good point. If they are paid up on the rent or whatever on that property they could try to sue for trespassing too, I would be VERY careful how much you intervene at this point. It could get really bad if they wanted to start something.....

The following user would like to thank macksmom98 for this post
ButtonsPalace, MaggieJ

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 16340
Joined: December 16, 2009
Location: South Eastern Ontario
Canada Female
Thanks: 688
Thanked: 2302 in 1792 posts
BunnyBucks: 58,643.00

Re: Can I get some help? Please

Post Number:#6  Unread postby MaggieJ » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:38 am


Rebel Rose and Macksmom are right. My advice to cull it may cause more problems than it solves. If the rabbit has pasteurella, then it needs to be euthanized, but it is their responsibility, not yours.

If I remember correctly, you are living with your boyfriend and his family? Are they being supportive of you in this instance? Can you take someone along when you return the rabbit to the owners for moral support and so that you don't get pressured?

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
ButtonsPalace

2 years of membership2 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 1057
Joined: December 4, 2014
Location: North Carolina
United States of America Female
Thanks: 213
Thanked: 63 in 56 posts
BunnyBucks: 6,847.00

Re: Can I get some help? Please

Post Number:#7  Unread postby ButtonsPalace » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:03 pm


macksmom98 wrote:Sounds like you have a plan.....what are you asking for help for exactly? Its not your responsibility, and if they leave her after moving you could call animal control and have her removed, if they will come on private property. As far as a bag of feed goes, you probably won't get that back. So I would expect that to happen and quit feeding pellets if finances are an issue.

No they didn't take feed I just figured they would ask. I can get more pellets it's not an issue. I just try to make them last as long as I can.. Which I'm surprised because this hay mix I got seems to have made the feed last longer *Or maybe I just think so haha* Um. Apparently they had a discussion with the "adults" and decided to take her on since she's sick. Which would've been nice to know.. I just didn't know how to word my sentence that was my issue..

__________July 7th, 2016, 11:21 am __________

Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry wrote:Simply put:

"I'm sorry that you're having to move and to insist you need to decide what to do with your rabbit. I can't offer any food/cage/supplies myself as I'm strapped as is. I know its hard, but this is also a big concern as she's not healthy. She could have some thing that could cause me to have to put down every single rabbit I have or some one else if she's just given away. I'm worried about my own rabbits as is, I'm already afraid it might be too late for some of them. I won't know for several weeks if any of them have caught it or maybe not even until they are stressed, rabbits are fragile but good at hiding problems until they are practically dead or really really bad off. She is sick with some thing, I can't afford to have her vetted for you. She cannot be responsibly given to some one else, they could end up unknowingly spreading it to many other babies. Rabbits just simply don't get colds like we do, any thing sick wise is very serious...life and death. If you can't deal with her today, please let me know and I will. But she can't stay here with me.


Direct, to the point, and nicest possible. I wouldn't be so nice....I'd simply say get your rabbit, its sick, I've taken enough chances. You need to have it vetted or put down, but I'm not fitting the bill for your animal any more. I can't feed it or take care of it, I've got too much going on. It may already be too late considering the other sneezer then her. There is not always snot, there is not always sneezing together...and again snuffles is a CATCH ALL term for every thing that has either and most people do not understand it can be highly contagious and deadly let alone the many different illnesses it can actually be.

IF it were me, I would also ask for some one else to be present AND have them sign some thing saying they give you the rabbit to do with as they see fit. That way, they can't get mad and call AC swearing you stole their rabbit and killed it...I've seen it happen and have had people try it on me unfortunately ugh.

*should be saying give you the rabbit to do with as you see fit, not them. Got a bit ahead of thought there lol.*


Thanks. Yeah that's a pretty great sentence right there. Since she's sick that's basically what my parent in laws told them because I had spoke to them about it so they were in the know. I figured they wouldn't come talk to me about it *rolls eyes* So I'm glad she's going. She had a cage already just no legs or roof on it.. I think it was being used as a chicken brooder for a while and yes I did warn them about it not being really sanitary with chicken poo on it.. But it's all they have so I can't really do much.. From what I've been told if she gets too bad then they're gonna cull her. Honestly with her being sick and being moved back to the property on which her humans previous house burned down that she's probably not gonna make it. I'm pretty sure rabbits have long term memory so I'd have to say she'll remember it's not even been 6 months yet... I hope she gets better but I'm not really looking for it to happen. I've told them if it does come to culling they can burn the previous cage and get a new set-up and materials and I'll give them a rabbit for free out of their choice of buck and doe.. I felt that was pretty nice seeing as the husband feels I'm the cause for his rabbits sickness (May I say his rabbit was very depressed which is probably what brought on the sickness. They said she has seasonal allergies and always starts sneezing right about now. But I'm not gonna trust what they say when it comes to that. I thoroughly cleaned all my cages since and I've got rid of the cage she was in *I've been wanting to anyway* I wish I could tell you guys all that's happened so you could better understand the situation with the neighbors and the rabbit but it's so much I'd be typing for probably all of an hour

__________July 7th, 2016, 12:03 pm __________

MaggieJ wrote:Rebel Rose and Macksmom are right. My advice to cull it may cause more problems than it solves. If the rabbit has pasteurella, then it needs to be euthanized, but it is their responsibility, not yours.

If I remember correctly, you are living with your boyfriend and his family? Are they being supportive of you in this instance? Can you take someone along when you return the rabbit to the owners for moral support and so that you don't get pressured?


If it were left up to me I would've culled right after that first sneeze. I know my rabbit was miserable for at least a few weeks before I caught it because I had been told it was only allergies.

I do live with my boyfriend and his family. But he is only 17 so he can't really move out >3< They were very supportive when I told them she couldn't stay and they couldn't agree with me more. They said it wasn't worth a health risk to all our healthy animals. She's staying in their camper for now with their dogs. I suppose in a separate room. But I don't really now I haven't been in their trailer at all XD
@Happydalerabbits on Facebook :)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest