Register

I HATE stomach bugs...

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 10,884.00

I HATE stomach bugs...

Post Number:#1  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:58 pm

Camping out in the living room with 3 out of 4 of the kiddos... not sure how much sleeping I will be doing. Took YDD to the doctor today b/c she was scaring us the last two nights by throwing up in her sleep and not waking up. DH said God woke him up 10 minutes early, likely to save her life or at least keep her from getting very very sick. She was flat on her back with it coming out of both sides of her mouth, gurgling. Eeek! After talking with the doctor she wasn't sure what to think, but wondered if it might be abdominal migraines since it was not presenting like a typical stomach bug (she is already on meds for traditional migraines).

Fast forward, YDS throws up in the parking lot after VBS tonight. Thankfully ODD and SIL got him out of the car in time. Noticed ODD was a bit off so I told her she should stay out in the living room with us tonight. She said she felt fine, was just tired. Nope. She's been sick twice now.

I hate hate hate stomach bugs... especially at night. I hate the anticipation, just waiting... who's next? Will I make it with a bowl? YDS keeps stirring, and I hear tummies gurgling and growling...

It's going to be a loooonnnng night...

Netflix maybe?
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 15,234.00

Re: I HATE stomach bugs...

Post Number:#2  Unread postby alforddm » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:40 am

Yeah, stomach flu is horrid. I hope everyone is doing better.

Site Supporter

Post Number:#3  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:11 am

Poor ODD always gets hit the hardest... she was sick every hour last night, almost to the minute :( Finally stopped around 4:30 which is when I finally was able to somewhat sleep.

Now we're wondering if it's food related. We had mexican on Sunday, the 3 that have been sick are the only ones that had beans. We wondered about the correlation but ODD hadn't gotten sick so we dismissed it... well, obviously now that's changed.

I (thankfully) have never had food poisoning that I know of - I have read that it can take hours, sometimes days for it to set in. Is there any way to know one way or another? DH's aunt said one time that food poisoning comes at regular intervals no matter what you eat or drink, viruses tend to be after you eat or drink something. Is that true? If so, that points to food poisoning for her...

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

Site Admin
10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,409.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby MaggieJ » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:54 am

Hope you're keeping them on clear fluids and electrolytes, Heritage. I remember once when MidnightCoder was little, he ended up in hospital due to dehydration from gastro. Five days on IV. No Pedialyte in those days, of course.

Hope everyone is feeling better soon. And that you don't come down with it and that you manage to get some sleep soon.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 4,264.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Nymphadora » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:09 am

If it is food poisoning, at least it won't keep spreading. I agree with MaggieJ on keeping lots of fluids and electrolytes incoming. I was down with really bad food poisoning earlier this year (DH had it too... I've never seen him that miserable), and it was all I could do to nibble on a few saltine crackers and drink plenty of water and gatorade. Ginger snaps and tea helped once I was able to keep some of it down on the second evening, too. I hope everyone starts feeling better soon!

Site Supporter

Post Number:#6  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:30 am

They have all had some chamomile tea - I don't have much else in the house. I was going to go to the store yesterday but didn't make it with YDD's doctor's appt. So far so good, everyone says they feel fine!

BunnyBucks: 6,427.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby macksmom98 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:42 pm

Just had a food thing myself, and you always forget how bad it can be until you are in the middle of dealing with it. Probably went around at VBS......Hope you all feel better soon! Nexflix=YES!!!!

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 36,700.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby akane » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:17 pm

I used to drink gingerale but with my fructose malabsorption the normal sodas don't work and I now drink bottles of brewed ginger drink similar to root beer with no alcohol. I've had food poisoning or stomach "flu" (actually still a bacterial infection) about 5 times now. Last time it was just excess gas being produced and I've never been able to burp well so I was pretty much throwing up gas. All the action of vomiting with 90% just gas coming it. The one before that though I was vomiting blood, tons more was coming out than going in and it was black, and all the doctor did was give me a shot of fluids. I couldn't eat carbs for 2months. 2 others were more standard with just some discomfort and vomiting. First time I got food poisoning was with my dad traveling to see family. I used to have motion sickness with some sensitivity still and then I had food poisoning. The vehicle had no ac, it was 90F, they didn't roll down the windows, they didn't offer me water..... I just wanted to sit in the dirty but cool ditch when they stopped to let me vomit once. I had to be dragged back into the car. Then they just left me there in the sun and closed up car while they went into a restuarant. There's a good chance they could have killed me on that trip. Someone was waiting by the car saying things to me and then talked to my dad and stepmom when they came out.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

Site Supporter

Post Number:#9  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:40 pm

akane wrote:I used to drink gingerale but with my fructose malabsorption the normal sodas don't work and I now drink bottles of brewed ginger drink similar to root beer with no alcohol. I've had food poisoning or stomach "flu" (actually still a bacterial infection) about 5 times now. Last time it was just excess gas being produced and I've never been able to burp well so I was pretty much throwing up gas. All the action of vomiting with 90% just gas coming it. The one before that though I was vomiting blood, tons more was coming out than going in and it was black, and all the doctor did was give me a shot of fluids. I couldn't eat carbs for 2months. 2 others were more standard with just some discomfort and vomiting. First time I got food poisoning was with my dad traveling to see family. I used to have motion sickness with some sensitivity still and then I had food poisoning. The vehicle had no ac, it was 90F, they didn't roll down the windows, they didn't offer me water..... I just wanted to sit in the dirty but cool ditch when they stopped to let me vomit once. I had to be dragged back into the car. Then they just left me there in the sun and closed up car while they went into a restuarant. There's a good chance they could have killed me on that trip. Someone was waiting by the car saying things to me and then talked to my dad and stepmom when they came out.

How scary!!! I can't even imagine how miserable that was :(

I can't burp either and have had that experience before... it's no fun at all. ODD always ends up with dry heaves b/c she has nothing else... it's so sad. The last round was green so I am assuming bile :( All have ate at least a little something today, drank something as well, hopefully we're on the mend.

So far so good today. YDS is still clearing out the other end, but it's not nearly as bad as it was so I am assuming he's on the tail end (no pun in tended :roll: ). I have been loading them up with probiotics - I think that helps at least a little bit. DH isn't feeling hot, but what he describes sounds more like what I had last week. I have no idea what's going on. Our VBS only has 12 kids this year, 4 in each class - it's not a huge amount of exposure or anything. Trying to decide if the two that had symptoms a couple days ago are OK to go tonight, or if I should just keep them all home. We have had such a long run with no illness and have been slammed the last month or so. Sinus, congestion, cough, stomach stuff... it's been a mess. I have lysol-d the whole house, washed load after load of laundry, and am getting ready to start another load in the dishwasher.

Site Supporter

Post Number:#10  Unread postby alforddm » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:44 pm

I'd keep them home. If it is a stomach virus and not food poisoning, then you can stay contagious even after symptoms have passed.

People are contagious for at least 3 days after all stomach flu (viral gastroenteritis) symptoms have completely stopped and they feel perfectly fine.

http://www.stopthestomachflu.com/Home/h ... tomach-flu

Site Supporter

Post Number:#11  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:14 pm

Well, DH already left with the other two. He wanted all of us to go, but I told him that the two that were sick last night didn't need to be there. YDS is not happy :( . I usually go with daycare rules (because I worked in that field for a while) and it's 24 hours after symptoms stop so hopefully if all goes well tonight they can at least go tomorrow for the homemade ice cream finale...

__________Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:14 pm __________

Oh, and what i meant about "not a huge amount of exposure" was referring to what they might have picked up, not to the number of children they could potentially share it with... I just realized that comment could go either way. Although, all but 4 are church members so they were all together at church on Sunday anyway. I hope that everyone else is there tonight and it hasn't already made it's way to another. It's so hard b/c you don't know until it's too late. I mean, I took her to the doctor, just in case, and she said she really didn't think it was a bug and would consider her not contagious unless things changed with the other kids (which obviously did) since her symptoms were more fitting for Abdominal Migraines (and we've been having issues with regular migraines already). Thankfully, at least to our face, the other families are pretty understanding when things have come up in the past. It goes both ways I guess... we have brought things home from them as well (I actually was exposed to Fifths Disease right at the end of my second pregnancy... didn't get symptoms until a week or two after I had her, thankfully. The mom called me after her son was diagnosed b/c it can be dangerous if contracted during pregnancy).

BunnyBucks: 6,427.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby macksmom98 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:17 pm

I also follow school guidelines, and if they are around all of the same kids and do happen to still be contagious, they have all probably been exposed from before they showed symptoms also.....not that you want to send out anyone who knowingly could be contagious, but if with that its hard to know. And keeping kids without symptoms inactive and at home for 3 extra days in the summer would be tough!

Site Supporter

Post Number:#13  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:13 pm

Thought we were in the clear, over 36 hours with no diarrhea or vomiting... then YDS threw up when we got home. I just don't know what to think. DH still thinks it's food related since only the 3 have gotten sick, and they all ate the same thing Sunday at supper. It's just not acting like a typical stomach bug.

__________Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:13 pm __________

akane - I was talking to a lady who had food poisoning so bad she almost died... she couldn't eat solid food for 6 months! I can't even imagine the misery that you guys went through. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Site Supporter

Post Number:#14  Unread postby alforddm » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:10 pm

Stomach bugs can last quite a while (I want to say 10 days but I'm maybe 75% on that) and often have a milder recurrence when you think your in the clear.

I did some research on them when one went around here this winter.

Site Supporter

Post Number:#15  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:01 pm

Yeah... not in the clear like I had hoped. He's thrown up a couple more times. Any time he tries to eat or drink anything now :( He had only thrown up one time before, Tuesday evening... and now this? Ugh. Great time for me to go and buy cheap paper towels :roll: (I use cloth 99% of the time so I hadn't realized I had run out... bought 1 roll at Aldi's b/c that's where we were and I didn't want to go anywhere else. Definitely a difference!). So, we're home together. We checked on some newly born kits (2 does that were on their last strike finally got it right! for now...), watered the gardens, and he even felt good enough to run and play in the water as well. Then he came in and ate a banana and drank some water. Got sick. Feels fine again. :slap:

Next