Register

I hate to introduce myself like this but........

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 105.00

I hate to introduce myself like this but........

Post Number:#1  Unread postby LovinTheFarmLife » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:08 am

First things first, this site is amazing. I have learned so much on here it's ridiculous so a huge thank you to everyone. Now for the hard part....... I went out to do the morning feeding this morning and was greeted by the sight of a dead chicken in the chicken park. From the door of the chicken park it looked fine, just dead, no blood or anything, and I thought, that's weird, but okay chickens die sometimes. Then I notice there are feathers everywhere on the inside and the outside of chicken park. Feathers from our brand new, just picked them up Saturday, Guineas as well as feathers from who knows how many chickens. All total I found the one chicken and two guineas dead in the park. I'm guessing they might have been ran until they dropped because there were no marks on them. In addition, we are missing two guineas and at least six chickens. I didn't have time to do a good count on the chickens this morning so that's a guesstimate. I'm so mad and heartbroken right now. I thought our chicken park was pretty secure. We live right next to a state park and have not ever had any trouble with anything getting into it. We have lost an occasional chicken when we let them free range but nothing like this. We know what the culprit is so it will be handled but I still feel so bad about it. It was not a good way to start the day. On a positive note, the rabbit house/new chick house was not touched. I'm almost positive that nothing can get in there but will be double and triple checking everything this evening when I get home.

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 12,558.00

Re: I hate to introduce myself like this but........

Post Number:#2  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:18 am

Welcome--
and
good luck with the predator problem...
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 7,102.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby ButtonsPalace » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:02 am

Welcome to RabbitTalk! Hope you like it here and I'm sorry to hear about your loss.
@Happydalerabbits on Facebook :)

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 425.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby JudyM » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:51 am

So sorry! Been there, we probably all have at one time or another. An acquaintance of mine once said (about raccoons) that it isn't how you keep them out but how long it takes them to get in because they will. We've been fortunate, it's been about 5 years since the last one got in. New problem now is coyotes (and no dog).

Post Number:#5  Unread postby LovinTheFarmLife » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:53 am

michaels4gardens wrote:Welcome--
and
good luck with the predator problem...

Thank you.

ButtonsPalace wrote:Welcome to RabbitTalk! Hope you like it here and I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Thank you. I love it here.

JudyM wrote:So sorry! Been there, we probably all have at one time or another. An acquaintance of mine once said (about raccoons) that it isn't how you keep them out but how long it takes them to get in because they will. We've been fortunate, it's been about 5 years since the last one got in. New problem now is coyotes (and no dog).

That is true. We had a long run going with no incidents but it could've been worse. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you on your coyote problem. We're pretty sure our's is a fox problem.

BunnyBucks: 75.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Capri » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:09 pm

I was just about to ask. Was thinking weasel or maybe even rat - they'll go after animals many times their size. Sorry about your loss, it's never easy when there's a stressful death. The peaceful ones are hard enough.

We have coyotes around here, but thankfully none have come into our yard. They can be heard howling in the distance in the very early morning and it's incredibly eerie. They probably have enough rodents and jack rabbits to hunt, but I have a baby monitor on at all times out back. So if something comes prowling around anywhere near my rabbit, they'll be chased off, quick.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 6,427.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby macksmom98 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:41 pm

So sorry! I woke up to a murder scene not that long ago too. I will say that whatever got them is sure to be back. Once they know there is food there.....You can try setting a trap but just be aware for the ones you do have left.....Hope things look up soon, that is not fun and I don't wish it on anyone.....

Post Number:#8  Unread postby LovinTheFarmLife » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:12 pm

Capri wrote:I was just about to ask. Was thinking weasel or maybe even rat - they'll go after animals many times their size. Sorry about your loss, it's never easy when there's a stressful death. The peaceful ones are hard enough.

Thank you for understanding.

macksmom98 wrote:So sorry! I woke up to a murder scene not that long ago too. I will say that whatever got them is sure to be back. Once they know there is food there.....You can try setting a trap but just be aware for the ones you do have left.....Hope things look up soon, that is not fun and I don't wish it on anyone.....

Thank you. I'm sorry that you had to deal with it too. It's definitely the pits. :( We will be setting traps tonight in hopes of catching the culprit.

Post Number:#9  Unread postby macksmom98 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:27 pm

Catch anything? Just curious.....I found a momma opossum and its baby eating our catfood last night, so we will be ready for them tonight! Hate those varmits, because they can do so much damage to our pets we try to keep safe....

Post Number:#10  Unread postby LovinTheFarmLife » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:13 am

macksmom98 wrote:Catch anything? Just curious.....I found a momma opossum and its baby eating our catfood last night, so we will be ready for them tonight! Hate those varmits, because they can do so much damage to our pets we try to keep safe....

We didn't catch anything. :( We even did a stakeout out the bedroom windows. They haven't returned yet that we know of but it's only a matter of time. Good luck to you on your opossum catching. They sure can wreak havoc on small animals.

Post Number:#11  Unread postby macksmom98 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:19 pm

Thank you! And to you as well......these Possums seem to be a little more donesticated, they were eating side by side with the cat! I sure don't want any trouble tho, they got ta go! So far nothing last night here either....hopefully this weekend we catch them!