Register

What kind of person steals rabbits?

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,715.00

What kind of person steals rabbits?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby dangerbunny » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:48 pm

This past weekend someone broke into our barn and stole 6 Holland Lops. I don't think it was another breeder as it was some that weren't show quality as well as my very best buck, It looks like the ones on the end cages were targeted, 5 bucks and 1 doe. We were home, My husband found footprints coming from the road on the far side from the house, everybunny was there when we did chores last night around 7pm Friday, so it would have been during the night. I don't think it was anyone who knew about rabbits, they took three culls but also my best rabbit. Just the ones in the end cages. I have a couple Silver fox too and those weren't touched so I doubt it was for eating. We filed a police report, contacted local petstores and auction places, and posted on many facebook groups and are checking craiglist.

I'm really devastated and ready to quit showing. I had cut down the herd in the fall and reinvested a lot of money into a really nice, young, show buck, I was planning on showing him and my broken buck (who was also taken) this year. I just had a baby so hadn't even had a chance to breed him yet and now I never will, he had the perfect temperament, great lines and good conformation. I still have two nice bucks for my BEW project but this busts my showing plans and makes my heart hurt.

I didn't expect this, it was totally out of the blue. No disputes with neighbors or previous buyers, we live on a quiet dirt road and I had already made the move to a semi-closed rabbitry, I haven't sold any pets since September and most of the sales I did were meeting off property, on the rare times I had someone on the farm I didn't take them into the rabbitry. We made changes to make things more secure and put up cameras but it still sucks. If you don't already have a totally closed rabbitry, I encourage you to do so. Apparently, you can't trust anyone these days.
DangerBunny Farm
Raising purebred Holland Lop rabbits
Focusing on our beautiful BEW bunnies!
http://dangerbunnyfarm.weebly.com/
https://www.facebook.com/DangerbunnyFarm

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 32,358.00

Re: What kind of person steals rabbits?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Zass » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:17 pm

Lots of break-ins and rabbit thefts.
Easter is coming, and they have to fill the shelters...

The following user would like to thank Zass for this post
michaels4gardens, SuburbanHomesteader

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 36,700.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby akane » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:17 pm

I went to Minnesota from Iowa to get standard chinchilla rabbits and my buck was stolen within the week. We bicycle chained all the gates and brought them into the basement because the porch door doesn't lock. That is why I ended up giving up on rabbits until I can build a solid outdoor building for them.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 3,797.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby jimmywalt » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:38 pm

Hi. I think we talked on FB a couple days ago. Since you are saying you live down a dirt road and sounds you aren't that close to the neighbors, you could invest $10 into some motion detector lights that you don't have to put RIGHT BY the rabbitry, but on the walk to were you think these people walked. Also if you add a $5 car alarm from the junk yard attached to the motion lights, not only will that light up the jerks, but also might make them poop their pants when the siren starts blaring.

So sorry about your loss!!!

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 10,884.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:55 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss... this story, and several others I have heard on here, have me acting far different than I would have if I were flying solo. I have decided that I will only meet people other places for selling rabbits, the few that I do offer up, and even though my hutches are tucked in back, am going to make more of an effort to keep things hidden from plain view with strategically thought out and placed plants. The lady I bought the hutches from included a number of locks, but I haven't used them much since the kids help me out so much. I do like the dogs having free reign of the yard as an added deterrent...

So sorry for your loss, it sounds like even though they didn't know what they were getting, they still did some damage to your rabbitry's future/goals :cry:
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 56,231.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Miss M » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:13 am

I am so sorry, Dangerbunny! :cry:

We have Master locks on our rabbitry and coop that are open only when we are actively seeing to the rabbits and chickens. The building is 5/8" fence boards attached to 2x4s and 4x4s, with a little spacing for air flow. The open side is two layers of 2x4 welded wire. And we have motion sensor lights and an inexpensive but decent game camera (with night capability) on it. Kinda seemed like overkill, until the other guy who raises rabbits around here told me someone broke into his rabbitry and stole a couple of rabbits. I think his rabbitry was largely screen, with a screen door and no lock.

He said he had an interested visitor shortly before the theft. He remembers the person asking how many rabbits he had. He didn't actually know, and said so -- and he thinks the person figured he probably wouldn't miss a rabbit or two, since he didn't know how many he had.

Ever since then, I make sure to have a numerical answer to that question, even if I'm not actually sure how many I have. I'll look thoughtful for a moment, and then give an answer. It might be right, but the other person won't know that I actually am not sure how many rabbits I have.
We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

Site Supporter
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 12,558.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:25 am

Zass wrote:Lots of break-ins and rabbit thefts.
Easter is coming, and they have to fill the shelters...

EXACTLY--
If I thought the thieves were hungry - I would be a little less judgmental, -- but so far-- that has never been the case-- so far - my experience with thieves has been-- "it's all about the money" [mostly just resale, or a wanabe breeder who doesn't want to pay for breed stock ] - or "help" a "shelter" make Easter bunny money. -- once in a while it is some "mentally ill person" trying to "rescue animals".
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

The following user would like to thank michaels4gardens for this post
Zass

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,032.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby imajpm » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:16 pm

I think that maybe I am going to rearrange the rabbits so my favorites are the hardest to get to and put the powerhouse NZW's in the easy access areas. A stranger picking up one of them won't be too encouraged to grab a second after they shred off a pound of flesh. I am on a remote dirt road as well so not much traffic but on the other hand if my dog is not up then I won't even hear anyone making a quick stop by the barn. I keep my barn open in summer because it brings in such a nice breeze but might need to ramp up the ventilation system instead.

I am so sorry about the stolen rabbits. I can't even imagine how much that hurts. I hope they find out who did it. I can't stand animal theft. And the poor bunnies must have been scared having a stranger in there.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 48,829.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby skysthelimit » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:18 pm

I have this discussion a lot when new people ask why rabbitries are closed. I don't sell a lot of rabbits, mainly because I don't want anyone coming to my home. Now that I'm trying to sell rabbit manure, I open myself up to people asking to pick up, getting the address and not showing. Now they know what kind of rabbits I have, how much they are worth, where to find me, and when I am "available".

Living in the city has the disadvantage of having lots of traffic, lots of houses around me, and very easy access to the highways. I have dogs in the rabbit barn, dogs in the back of the house. My windows are covered with heavy metal mesh. I am seriously considering putting those motion alarms on both driveway entrances, and locking the barn. Locking means I have to keep track of a key, but it's just a reality.
German Shepherds*Rush Hour Rabbitry*Rex *Jersey Wooly*French Angora
http://www.foursquaremicrofarm.us

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 56,231.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby Miss M » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:30 pm

skysthelimit wrote:Locking means I have to keep track of a key, but it's just a reality.

Be sure to make duplicates!
We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

Site Supporter

Post Number:#11  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:22 pm

When I had a lot of rabbits, -I had a Saint Bernard , and then later on a Pyrenees, who lived in my rabbitry, [the rabbits were their family, and they protected them] -- a couple of times we had intruders-- it was very traumatic for all of them.... luckily everyone survived...

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 10,884.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:18 pm

michaels4gardens wrote:When I had a lot of rabbits, -I had a Saint Bernard , and then later on a Pyrenees, who lived in my rabbitry, [the rabbits were their family, and they protected them] -- a couple of times we had intruders-- it was very traumatic for all of them.... luckily everyone survived...

Now that sounds like a story (or stories!) worth telling! ;)
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

Site Supporter

Post Number:#13  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:37 am

heritage wrote:
michaels4gardens wrote:When I had a lot of rabbits, -I had a Saint Bernard , and then later on a Pyrenees, who lived in my rabbitry, [the rabbits were their family, and they protected them] -- a couple of times we had intruders-- it was very traumatic for all of them.... luckily everyone survived...

Now that sounds like a story (or stories!) worth telling! ;)

I still find it amazing, - just how many people choose to disregard warning signs, and enter another persons private property anyway..
... one time I returned home to find the door to the rabbitry broken, -it had been pried open, - the dog was sitting in the open doorway looking rather aggravated. I have no idea who my visitor was...but, they left their pry bar for me, I am surprised I found no blood, or entertained a lawsuit. -- but after all-- this happened in California...

BunnyBucks: 3,465.00

Post Number:#14  Unread postby Schipperkesue » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:02 am

What a horrible story!

Now something about you description...where you live, you last sale being so long ago...kind of makes me wonder if it might be someone you know?

Site Supporter
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,586.00

Post Number:#15  Unread postby SuburbanHomesteader » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:01 pm

skysthelimit wrote: Locking means I have to keep track of a key, but it's just a reality.

You can purchase combination padlocks - not like we used to use on our lockers - these are heavy-duty and made for outdoor use. You can set them to any 4-digit number you want to open.

We use them on all of our gates. Family members know the number and we don't have to worry about keys. And we keep our gates locked.

On our barn and out-buildings, we use heavy-duty hasps and keyed padlocks. Every building is locked up every night. We also have all of our outdoor lights on motion detectors. No alarms yet...

Such are the times we live in.

Next