Register

Rabbit pulling fur HELP!!!!!

Understand why your rabbits behave the way they do - and what you can do about it.
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10.00

Rabbit pulling fur HELP!!!!!

Post Number:#1  Unread postby AppleAndCole » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:46 pm

My doe rabbit starting pulling fur today. I bred her exactly two weeks ago. I don't know why a she is so early. This is my first experience with a pregnant rabbit so I have no idea what is normal and could use as much help as I can get. Thanks! :bunnyhop:

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Austria
BunnyBucks: 4,027.00

Re: Rabbit pulling fur HELP!!!!!

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Preitler » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:15 pm

Don't panic. :)

2 weeks, well, I think that would be a common time if it were a false pregnancy, but since rabbits are very different there is only one way to tell for sure: wait. And put a nestbox in on day 27 at the latest anyway.
Some does, especially first timers, don't get the timing right.

Anyway - save the fur, it may come in handy when there is actually a nest to be stuffed.

Site Admin
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,329.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby MaggieJ » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:16 pm

Good advice from Preitler! :)

At two weeks, if she were to kindle, the kits would not be viable. So, yes, save the fur . . . it is always good to have a supply for those times when the doe does not pull enough at the time of kindling.

It could well be a false pregnancy. Rabbits are induced ovulators (they ovulate as a result of mating) and sometimes the doe "feels" pregnant when she isn't. But don't give up hope. Wait out the time until at least Day 36 from the mating. She may be pregnant and just a tad confused about timing.

Good luck! :clover: And welcome to RabbitTalk. :hi:
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 56,225.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Miss M » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:21 am

I have had a doe pull fur at two weeks, and go on to have a healthy litter later. :)

Great advice... absolutely save that fur!
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 6,427.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby macksmom98 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:23 am

All my rabbits false pregnancies occur right at 3 weeks, and mine have had a lot of them. But it's true they are all different and rabbits could surprise you at anytime:)