Register

Digging food

Understand why your rabbits behave the way they do - and what you can do about it.
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 205.00

Digging food

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Links56 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:55 am

So I have one doe I think she's half Fleming and half nzw. She will dig all the pellets out of her feeder. She just started it about a month ago. Nothing has changed as far as food type or anything. I just give her a couple handfuls morning and night and she seems starved and starts eating right away. It's hard to tell how much she eats though after I leave. There's a wasted pile of feed under her cage that is starting to add up. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 11,558.00

Re: Digging food

Post Number:#2  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:08 am

look at feeder design, and amount being fed for her condition [fat thin etc.:]
I use "Bass" feedsaver feeders, compared to J type feeders there is very little digging/ wasting of feed.
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:02 am

I have a doe that does that when she is pregnant. A round stone or golf ball placed in the feeder will help because they have trouble digging around it. You may need more than one depending on the width of your feeder.

If it is a J Feeder, another option is to drill holes on opposite sides of the feeder and thread a wire or (my preference) a length of "all thread" through it. I use a plain bolt on one side of the all thread and a locking bolt on the other so I can remove it if necessary. I found that without a locking bolt on at least one end the normal bolts will eventually come unscrewed and fall off.
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 5,430.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Ramjet » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:20 pm

michaels4gardens wrote:look at feeder design, and amount being fed for her condition [fat thin etc.:]
I use "Bass" feedsaver feeders, compared to J type feeders there is very little digging/ wasting of feed.

I have one that digs out of a Bass Feed Saver .... She dug as a young rabbit in a J feeder , the Bass feeder stopped the behavior until very recently , now she's doing it again .... and worse.

If she weren't one of my better does , she'd be in the stew pot already. Delivered 9 day before yesterday ....
Hindsight is always 20/20 but looking back its still a bit fuzzy.

https://www.facebook.com/texrex.rabbits

TexRexRabbitry@Hotmail.com

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 205.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Links56 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:41 pm

Hey thanks! Great Idea's guys. Ill check out some of the other feeders and try the all thread method, What size do you use 5/16? They can still eat around it?

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 11,558.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:08 am

Ramjet wrote:
michaels4gardens wrote:look at feeder design, and amount being fed for her condition [fat thin etc.:]

I have one that digs out of a Bass Feed Saver .... She dug as a young rabbit in a J feeder , the Bass feeder stopped the behavior until very recently , now she's doing it again .... and worse.

If she weren't one of my better does , she'd be in the stew pot already. Delivered 9 day before yesterday ....

I occasionally see that also.. decisions, decisions...
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

BunnyBucks: 5,430.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Ramjet » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:51 pm

michaels4gardens wrote:I occasionally see that also.. decisions, decisions...

This one is fairly safe .... for now. I have nothing to replace her with at the moment .... but who knows how this litter will turn out.
Hindsight is always 20/20 but looking back its still a bit fuzzy.

https://www.facebook.com/texrex.rabbits

TexRexRabbitry@Hotmail.com

Site Supporter
Austria
BunnyBucks: 4,027.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Preitler » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:58 pm

Hm, I seem to have less wasted hay when I give them branches to chew on, I got the impression that they tend to waste food when they are bored.