Register

Licking and Nudging

Understand why your rabbits behave the way they do - and what you can do about it.
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 121.00

Licking and Nudging

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Lopsofloverabbitry » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:38 pm

My 1 1/2 year old holland lop doe just had 2-5 babies. I wasnt able to count how many there was being she ate half of them. It was her first litter and they were dead already. Today I was filling her water dish and she has been really 'attention wanting' since she lost her babies. She hopped over to she which she has never done before and start licking my jacket. She then start to push on it with her nose and mouth. It was the weirdest thing but was cute. She wants the cage door open all the time and she has food and water but when I try to pet her she runs away. Anyone have an idea on whats going on?

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 4,787.00

Re: Licking and Nudging

Post Number:#2  Unread postby katiebear » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:23 pm

Sounds like hormones to me. You may want to re-breed her right away. :)
Give her some mint to dry up any milk though you don't want mastitis it's painful and can cause a doe to die
Don't be to hard on her with first timers there is often problems.

The following user would like to thank katiebear for this post
Lopsofloverabbitry

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 10,202.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Homer » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:24 am

katiebear wrote:Sounds like hormones to me. You may want to re-breed her right away. :)

:yeahthat:
Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 121.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Lopsofloverabbitry » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:18 pm

katiebear wrote:Give her some mint to dry up any milk though you don't want mastitis it's painful and can cause a doe to die
Don't be to hard on her with first timers there is often problems.

Thank you! Where could I get mint and what kind? Would peppermint cubes work to just let her lick on them?

BunnyBucks: 4,787.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby katiebear » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:22 pm

I bought a sweet mint plant from Wal-Mart..cost about four bucks. Put it in a pot..mint for ever.
You should be able to get cut mint in the salad section of any grocery store..
Not sure about cubes.if you mean candy..I'd say no..