Register

I screwed up

Addressing the special needs of the breeding doe and her kits. Includes nutrition, gestation, nest boxes and materials, and tips to ensure survival of the young.
Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
Canada
BunnyBucks: 257.00

I screwed up

Post Number:#1  Unread postby WVForestGirl » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:23 pm

Found a surprise litter today spread on the ground around the cage of a junior doe I brought home a couple weeks ago.
Most still twitching so hurried them onto the heating pad and took them inside. All but one looked like they were coming back - yay!
So I take a couple minutes to eat something and the heating pad goes nuclear. They're all panting and I think I cooked one to death. I feel so horrible! :-o :(
I took them back outside and put them in a nest box for her. Hopefully she'll figure out what to do and some of them make it.

Site Admin
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 60,133.00

Re: I screwed up

Post Number:#2  Unread postby MaggieJ » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:29 pm

Bad luck with the heating pad, but hardly something you could foresee and therefore prevent. Hope at least some of them make it in spite of their rough start. :clover: :clover: :clover:

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
WVForestGirl

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 35,855.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby akane » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:19 am

Yeah, luckily mine were in a flemish size box and I found them all wiggled to the end when I did that. I have an adjustable reptile tank heating pad now that I use for everything.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

The following user would like to thank akane for this post
WVForestGirl

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
Canada
BunnyBucks: 257.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby WVForestGirl » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:53 am

Thanks! There's still some life in the box, I stuck my hand in this morning but didn't take them out to check if they'd been fed yet. I hope I didn't screw up their development with the overheating.

United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 467.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Ghost » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:35 pm

I know it is little consolation, but with rabbits you always have to do the most good for the most rabbits. You have to remember that a few will always be lost along the way. You did the best you could. Don't be ashamed to shed a few tears for the ones that don't make it, we will not hold it against you. Just remember "the herd goes on".
You have to do the most good for the most. You most remember that a few will won't make it. Don't be ashamed to shed a tear for the ones lost along the way, we will not hold it against you. Just remember "the herd goes on".

The following user would like to thank Ghost for this post
WVForestGirl

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 21,197.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Marinea » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:30 pm

At the first of the month we had two litters (17 total kits). Unfortunately, they kindled in the midst of the worst winter weather we've had so far. Today, we have three of the kits left. It happens, despite all we do to make it better.

Don't beat yourself up.
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

The following user would like to thank Marinea for this post
Ferra, WVForestGirl