Register

Nest box suggestions

Addressing the special needs of the breeding doe and her kits. Includes nutrition, gestation, nest boxes and materials, and tips to ensure survival of the young.
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,966.00

Nest box suggestions

Post Number:#1  Unread postby TeaTimeBunnies » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:05 am

So as the title says I need suggestions for a nest box. Well more of my mom needs it. She decided that she wanted to breed her dwarf mix doe, so she talked to me and we set up a date for her to bring her doe for a visit with my mini rex buck. She also asked what she should use for a nest box. Well her rabbit is an indoor one and I have outdoor breeders with nest boxes built into my hutches so I didn't really know what to tell her. Her rabbit is almost a medium size, but since she also has a dwarf Gene she is still just too small to be considered a medium sized rabbit, more like a larger small rabbit. She is housed indoors in a pretty large hutch that has plenty of room for her and kits. I just don't know what to tell my mom to make a nest box out of, because the standard nest boxes sold at my feed store are too big for her. Any suggestions on what to suggest to my mom? I want her prepared before her doe visits my buck. Thanks
I breed English spot, Mini Rex, Lop mix, Dwarf mix, And Meat mutts
https://teatimebunnies.wordpress.com/

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,017.00

Re: Nest box suggestions

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Maleficent » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:32 am

Here are a couple suggestions of what I have used personally, A cardboard box like a shoe box just big enough for momma to fit in there comfortablely or go to your local dollar store and pick up some cheap plastic baskets like these

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.a ... 30EALw_wcB

Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,235.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:39 am

From my experience, indoor bunnies dont rly need a nestbox. Even if I gave em one they prefered making their nests in the corner of their cages. With Nikita I forced her to use the nestbox by moving her babies in it, but she wasnt very happy about it, kept rebuilding the nest in the corner even if she couldnt move her babies back to it.
Other then that, anything that can be used as a nestbox can work; plastic high walls litter box, cardboard box, wood nesting box you can build yourself easilly.

Post Number:#4  Unread postby TeaTimeBunnies » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:36 am

Thank you both! One thing I realized that I forgot to mention is that her cage has wire floor over a drop pans. She has some shelves in there for her to rest on too, but the wire floor is why I asked about nest boxes

Canada Female

Post Number:#5  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:42 am

doesnt change much to the equation so no worries ^.-

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 4,837.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby faiththequeen » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:20 pm

The only problem I've found with cardboard or plastic boxes, is that they are easy for the rabbit to move about, if she so chooses. One of mine flipped hers over and napped underneath! LOL! I have no idea, if she would've done so after her babies were in it, but it made me nervous enough to make some heavy wooden nest boxes ;)
Faith the Queen :king:

Canada Female

Post Number:#7  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:56 pm

depends wich type we are talking about, the plastic one Nikita has is a... you know what? a pic = a thousand words
That's Nikita's setup, both cages are hers and she has a cat litter for her litter in the second cage and the white litter is her nest.

Post Number:#8  Unread postby TeaTimeBunnies » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:46 am

Thank you everyone!!