Register

How long does it take to build up sperm?

Discussions and questions about how best to keep your breeding program running smoothly.
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 3,080.00

How long does it take to build up sperm?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby a7736100 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:06 pm

I want to breed a proven buck to several does. How long a rest should I give him between does.

Great Britain Female
BunnyBucks: 180.00

Re: How long does it take to build up sperm?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Rosalaun » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:55 pm

I tend to leave my bucks with the does for 10 minutes while I'm cleaning or doing odd jobs, and have had them cover the doe sucessfully around 4 times in those 10 minutes - naturally depending on the doe being receptive! I do know other breeders that will cover 2-3 does with one buck in a day, but as long as they're experienced and don't mis-fire too much, they could probably manage more.

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 35,855.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby akane » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:49 pm

Depends on the buck but I've had a mini rex cover something like 8-10 does overnight when he escaped into the colony so most could breed several does in the same day if a buck isn't being affected by age, temperature, lack of breeding, and other things that can lower the amount of live sperm. In those cases though you often fail to accomplish breeding any doe until they get things working again instead of only some of them.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,636.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Ozarkansas » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:49 pm

I try to stick with one doe a day, but I have bred 2 does to one buck in a day successfully. There is definitely a possibility they can do more, but I don't want to wear them out.
Ozarkansas Rabbit Farms
Raising quality purebred Americans, Beverens, Dutch, and Palominos for meat, show, and pet.
htpp://www.ozarkansasrabbits.com