Register

Blue Silver Fox Can NOT Produce Black Silver Foxes?

Discussions and questions about how best to keep your breeding program running smoothly.
1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 520.00

Blue Silver Fox Can NOT Produce Black Silver Foxes?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby OldEnglishSilvers88 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:43 pm

Title says it all. Someone told me that blue silvered Silver Foxes can not produce black silvered Silver Fox when bred to another blue silvered. I believe this to be correct, am I?

I hopefully have a litter due this 30th. Both parents are pedigreed blue silvered Silver Foxes. This will be the buck's first litter but not the doe's. Buck's parents are a chocolate silvered (sire) and black silvered (dam). Doe's parents are lilac silvered (sire) and blue silvered (dam). Also, blue silvereds can not produce chocolate silvereds when bred together right? I only have black silvered and blue silvered Silver Foxes as I do not believe in the other colors. So in this litter I will get blue silvered and maybe lilac silvered since the doe carries for it and the buck must too since he has chocolate linage right?

Thanks! :D
" Forever traditional, always original"

- Old English Silvers

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 4,017.00

Re: Blue Silver Fox Can NOT Produce Black Silver Foxes?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby SableSteel » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:52 am

Sounds like you'll probably get mostly blues, maybe lilacs. No chocolates or blacks
Show Breeder & ARBA Registrar

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 425.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby MeadowView » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:59 am

It sounds like you have two blues who both for sure carry chocolate, so you should get blues and lilacs, most likely 50/50.

Two blues bred together cannot produce a black or a chocolate. When you breed two dilutes together, you'll get nothing but dilutes.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Black/blue/choc/lilac are the only color genetics I know!

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 520.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby OldEnglishSilvers88 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:47 pm

Relent gave me 7 beautiful blue silvereds on October 1, 2017. :D It's Solitaire's first litter. He's a good dad. Haha.
" Forever traditional, always original"

- Old English Silvers

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 230.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Shan_non » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:46 pm

OldEnglishSilvers88 wrote:Relent gave me 7 beautiful blue silvereds on October 1, 2017. :D It's Solitaire's first litter. He's a good dad. Haha.

Awesome! Congratulations.
What if I crossed 2 blues that -to my knowledge- don't carry chocolate? Would I get only blues and lilacs with no chance of chocolate or black?

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 4,017.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby SableSteel » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:59 pm

blue x blue can never make chocolate or black. If they carry chocolate, they can make lilac (the chocolate version of blue), but if they dont carry chocolate youll get all blues
Show Breeder & ARBA Registrar

The following user would like to thank SableSteel for this post
Shan_non