Register

How Young Is Too Young?

Discussions and questions about how best to keep your breeding program running smoothly.
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 3,315.00

How Young Is Too Young?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby The_Dutchess » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:01 pm

I have a 2 month old Jersey Wooly doe I'm very excited to breed. At first, I wasn't in a hurry; I was planning on breeding her around late September so she'd be around 6 months. Now, I've found a way for me to go to convention, which starts October 1st. Her birthday is April 28th, so she'd only be 3 months this month and if I wanted 2 month old juniors by convention, I'd have to breed July 2nd... which has already come and gone. Not to mention, she's too young! :lol: So obviously, no convention babies. But this brings me to my question: How young is too young to breed? I've never bred a young Jersey Wooly; I started out with a 3 year old proven doe. I've bred a 5 1/2 month old Mini Lop before with no problems, but Woolies are smaller than Mini Lops; does that affect the maturation rate?
Thanks!
-Duchess. :pancake:

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,156.00

Re: How Young Is Too Young?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby SixGun » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:10 pm

Smaller tends to mature faster. I believe the dwarf breeds are typically mature and productive at 5-6 months. The larger the breed the longer you need to wait.

BunnyBucks: 182.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Marie28 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:33 pm

I'm pretty sure it around 6 months or 80% of there potential full grown weight.

United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 260.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby UFCreel » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:13 am

good things come to those who wait. You do yourself and your special rabbit no favors by breeding so early. Complications mount in breeding so young. There will be other conventions.

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 3,315.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby The_Dutchess » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:16 am

Thanks everyone!
Just to be clear, I have absolutely no intentions of ever breeding any rabbit under 5 months. I will likely wait longer and breed at 6 months, regardless of whether or not the rabbit is ready at 5. When I was mentioning the desire to breed for convention, it was pretty much just rambling. :lol: I just wanted to be clear on the general rule of 6 months, since I was unsure if it was the same for both Mini Lops and Jersey Woolies.
Looks like I'm breeding at 6 months! :D
And once again, thanks for the advice.

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 520.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby OldEnglishSilvers88 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:50 pm

I use to own 5 pedigreed Jersey Woolies. Horribly allergic. :( So I sold mine.

I've bred as young as 5 months old (she had her kit at 6 months old) and did fine. She only had 1 kit though and did not have her in the nest box, she took all the hay out and pulled a ton of fur in the corner. Because she only had one baby, I rebred her when her daughter was 3 weeks old. Baby is now nearing 7 weeks old and mom is due tomorrow. :-) Mom is a Mini Lop x Silver Fox cross.
" Forever traditional, always original"

- Old English Silvers