Register

Mr escape artist may have messed up

Discussions and questions about how best to keep your breeding program running smoothly.
1 year of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 175.00

Mr escape artist may have messed up

Post Number:#1  Unread postby tailonwolf » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:20 am

I have a 6 1/2 month old standard rex that is smart well he found his way out of his cage and into the cage with my 2 10-12 week old does what should i do? I have place for the babies but im conserned for the young does since they are so young thankfully its been really hot so i dont know how fertile he is what is the best action to take?

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Austria
BunnyBucks: 3,708.00

Re: Mr escape artist may have messed up

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Preitler » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:32 am

What size is the breed of the does? 10-12 weeks would be possible for small breeds, but quite young for medium sized rabbits.

Anyway, I wouldn't count on the buck being sterile - that only happens when you desperatly try to breed them :roll: , be prepared, give them two nest boxes when the time comes.

I don't think the age is a big problem.
"Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness, then I am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious commodity is so much misery"

1 year of membership

Post Number:#3  Unread postby tailonwolf » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:40 am

im just woried about the health of the does since there so young

Site Supporter
Austria
BunnyBucks: 3,708.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Preitler » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:04 am

Well, no point in worrying about something you can't change anyway, and I've rarely heard of any problems for the doe due to surprise litters after the sex change fairy paid a visit. It's not considered the best age for good results and the does constitution, but it's not like they tend to fail too frequently or that it would do long term harm.
Sometimes her instincts are somewhat confused and she doesn't do everything in the right order, but that can happen with any first timer.

Just make sure they have no stress, enough food, and enough nesting material when the time comes - if they are pregnant at all, which I do not think is more likely than not considering that mine 7-8lbs. rabbits mature at about 14-16 weeks.
"Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness, then I am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious commodity is so much misery"

1 year of membership

Post Number:#5  Unread postby tailonwolf » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:45 am

Thanks for the pointers, i was just concered for their health since there so young

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 14,100.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby alforddm » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:59 am

Despite what is commonly believed, so long as mammals have sufficient nutrition, there are rarely problems from "teen" pregnancies. There is a somewhat increased risk of birth difficulties, but it is still quite low. Studies in beef cattle show breeding at 1yrs vs 2 yrs increases production value of the cow (over her lifetime) even when the slight increase in maternal difficulties and lower first time calf weaning weight were taken into count.

Now that being said, it is unlikely that your girls are bred. My rex coated crosses generally mature around 16 weeks of age. My pedigreed rex are usually a bit later.