Register

poop problem? help?!

Routine care and maintenance of rabbits and their surroundings.
BunnyBucks: 47.00

poop problem? help?!

Post Number:#1  Unread postby ziegfeldbunny » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:18 am

i just went to do bambi's cage and he's done some regular poops (hard and round) but i've just noticed he's done else.... i am aware that they do the grape like things (i cannot spell it for the life of me)
*this is going to be graphic i guess like if poop grosses you out*
IMG_1283.JPG
IMG_1283.JPG (64.75 KiB) Viewed 248 times

&
it kinda smells a little bit and he was sat on it (he usually poops those hard round ones and sits on those)
i've never seem him do anything like this so i'm quite worried about it, i'm thinking i should take him to the vets to get checked out but how should i describe it?
it obviously doesn't look normal
he's drinking water and eating his food/hay as he usually does and i haven't made any changes to his diet at all
he seems as lively as ever and also as friendly as ever so i'm wondering what i should do
please help! :(
adding sound to movies would be like putting lipstick on the venus de milo

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 7,263.00

Re: poop problem? help?!

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Sagebrush » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:40 am

If you take him to the vet, take the picture with you. Describe as best you can, what has happened since you first noticed any issues. Sometimes the best thing is the picture, cause then the tech and the doctor can see what it is you are trying to describe.

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 58,628.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby MaggieJ » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:12 pm

It's a bit hard to tell from the picture, but they do look pretty messy. It might just be squashed cecotropes (those grape-like things). I'd remove his pellets for a day or two and just give him hay and water. This usually will regulate any minor problem with rabbit poops.

There are several safe plants that help fight diarrhea. They will not constipate the rabbits and they are a normal part of the diet of wild European rabbits from which domestic rabbits are descended. It's a good idea to learn how to identify them and know where they are found.

Common Plantain (Plantago major and associated Plantago species.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantago_major

Shepherd's Purse (Capsella bursa-pastoris)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsella_bursa-pastoris

The unsprayed leaves of blackberry, raspberry and strawberry are also excellent.

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
ziegfeldbunny

BunnyBucks: 47.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby ziegfeldbunny » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:00 pm

Sagebrush wrote:If you take him to the vet, take the picture with you. Describe as best you can, what has happened since you first noticed any issues. Sometimes the best thing is the picture, cause then the tech and the doctor can see what it is you are trying to describe.

i'm definately taking him to the vets on monday, i already made an appointment and i'll of course show them the picture
thank you so much <3
adding sound to movies would be like putting lipstick on the venus de milo