Register

Rabbits covered in urine

Routine care and maintenance of rabbits and their surroundings.
1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 115.00

Rabbits covered in urine

Post Number:#1  Unread postby RabbitRobbie » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:55 pm

I just purchased a few Holland lops from a breeder. The breeder mishandled them. They smell strongly of urine. Their feet are stained. I filled a bucket with an inch of water and rubbed their feet. The water turned dark like urine. I didn't want to stress them more so I didn't attempt to bath them further. Their feet are still stained and they smell. How can I take care of them. Everything I've read strongly doesn't recommend bathing rabbits. How should I handle this? I've never had this issue with rabbits because I keep their hutches very clean.

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 6,307.00

Re: Rabbits covered in urine

Post Number:#2  Unread postby macksmom98 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:44 pm

You can keep doing the foot baths or even take some wet towels to their feet. Keeping them in clean conditions will help a lot, as they will groom themselves and then be able to remain clean. Over time,
a couple of weeks, you should notice a difference.....

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 150.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Bun » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:16 am

Poor rabbits, but it sounds as if they are with someone who will look after them now:-) Do your rabbits have any hair loss around there bum or does there skin look quite pink and sore? The reason i ask is if they have been kept in bad conditions they could have urine scolding... simply repeatedly washing the rabbit will make it very sore and distressed and will not solve the problem. Personally i would towel dry them/get any excess urine of with a dry towel, keep them in clean conditions. Be sure you have a layer of bedding that soaks and holds urine away from your rabbits. They should start to clean them self's if they are overweight they wont be able to give there bits a clean. Hopefully they should start to feel better just being in a clean/dry environment.

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
New Zealand
BunnyBucks: 1,127.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby karenl » Tue May 24, 2016 4:08 am

How are the rabbits coming along?