Register

What to treat pregant doe with fur mites?

Diagnosing and treating rabbit ailments. *Caution! These threads may contain graphic content.*
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 175.00

What to treat pregant doe with fur mites?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Pheasant283 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:19 pm

We have a bred doe that is due in 5 days and it seems that she has fur mites. She has a spot on her neck missing fur and a spot on each side missing fur. Is there any treatment that is safe to give her?

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 0.00

Re: What to treat pregant doe with fur mites?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby lyndseyrk » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:41 am

At 5 days out, I'd wait until she kindles. Then treat the fur mites. I hate to use anything on a pregnant or nursing doe, but would rather do it to a nursing one over a pregnant one. Ivermectin is my drug of course.
~ Lyndsey

Keller Rabbitry
Wheelersburg, Ohio

Site Admin
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,309.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby MaggieJ » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:10 am

Are you certain it is fur mites and not just some preliminary fur pulling in anticipation of kindling?
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

BunnyBucks: 1,864.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby avdpas77 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:07 pm

The standard non pesticide treatment for ear mites is a drop or two of mineral oil rubbed inside, It is quite effective and of No problem to the kits. Ear mites are like aphids... a few today, a real mess 5 days from now. The other cure is a bit of 5% Sevin dust sprinkled in the ear. This is a topical pesticide, would not in any way contact the kits, and would not hurt them if it did.

I do not advise using Ivomec for ear mites. It is great stuff, and will work, but it is like giving a child a weeks dose of antibiotics for a brier scratch. It is not necessary, it is not as safe as a topical solution, and it contributes to the nematodes adapting immune strains. The lack of viability of once very effective antibiotics, is almost completely due to farmers using them when not needed. The same is happening to Ivomec, which is predominately a worm medicine. Many sheep worms have already adapted to the point where it has lost much of it's effectiveness.

Be responsible.
breeder of the Midwest's most mixed up pedigreed rabbits

Site Admin
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,309.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby MaggieJ » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:25 pm

Fur mites, AVD... not ear mites.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 4,796.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Anntann » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:42 pm

so....how do ya'll feel about Diatomacious Earth? (DE). It is an effective organic insect killer (scrapes the hard outer shell of the insect, and insect dies), and doesn't appear to hurt mammals. I use it in the chicken coop to keep down flies and mites. works well. Would that be okay to dust the doe with?

BunnyBucks: 175.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Pheasant283 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:49 pm

Well I took her to the local vet today. I hadn't noticed that she was scratching herself so hard that she gave herself an infection. (It was in the fold of her neck). The vet game her ivermectin and baytril for the infection. I'm hoping this will take care of the problem and not create any new ones. Has anyone used baytril before?