Register

reddish urine?

Diagnosing and treating rabbit ailments. *Caution! These threads may contain graphic content.*
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 0.00

reddish urine?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby uumom2many » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:53 pm

I've read on the house rabbits board that this can be normal but just wondering if any one has dealt with it before. The brand new doe bunny kit I got today has peed twice and both times is a reddish color. I'm worried but she seems okay otherwise, eating, drinking, running around etc.
Crystal
Mom of 7 homeschooled kids age 7 and under, homesteading wannabe living in the city. Married to a military tech man. Raising three Angora bunnies and a Lab/Border Collie mix.

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 0.00

Re: reddish urine?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby lyndseyrk » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:33 pm

Lots of mine have a reddish cast to it. I've always considered it normal.
~ Lyndsey

Keller Rabbitry
Wheelersburg, Ohio

BunnyBucks: 2,397.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby DevonW » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:40 pm

Stress from travelling, not drinking enough water, and too much calcium in the diet can all be causes of red urine in rabbits.
Devon Ward - Certified Trick Dog Instructor and Pet Photographer.

Site Admin
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,304.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby MaggieJ » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:52 am

Rabbit urine can be a number of different colours. Reddish is pretty common and is not generally considered a cause for concern. Observing the yard in winter where the cottontails hang out tells me that rabbit urine can be reddish, greenish, blue or even purple. I think diet has a lot to do with it.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .