Register

GI stasis

Diagnosing and treating rabbit ailments. *Caution! These threads may contain graphic content.*
Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 2,320.00

GI stasis

Post Number:#1  Unread postby ipoGSD » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:01 am

So my baby boy (about 3 months old) holland lop is in stasis. For several days i have been syringe feeding him mashed pellets, electrolyte water, belly rubs and gas meds. I am now currently out of metacam. (I only had a little left when my Chihuahua had teeth removed) he would nibble on a soaked alfalfa hay block, a little bit of pellets and lettuce. Yay..hes getting better..

So fast forward to Sunday. He was doing great! he even binkied a couple times! And he did lots of *almost* normal poops (about normal size but some were odd shaped) at this point im thinking he is basically over the worst.. and im happy.. he continued to munch on his pellets, some hay, tender willow twigs, lettuce.

Woke up monday.. he seemed to have crashed again. Wouldn't even eat the very wet lettuce he would normally munch on.

So im back to baby gas drops, electro water, ground mushy pellets via syringe and belly rubs. No pain meds left.

Soooooo... My question is, is it normal for stasis to have its ups and downs? He is very skinny now, im so worried. He is such a love bug, always giving us kisses.

When i first bought him, he was a little thinner than his sister. I dewormed and pre treated for cocci. Figured better safe than sorry. And all was fine, until last week.

He and his sister are not big on hay at all.. so i dont know if thats what helped trigger this? Ive been mixing tim, orchard and a little alfalfa in the hay to encourage them to eat more of it.

1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,740.00

Re: GI stasis

Post Number:#2  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:52 am

Any major diet change will trigger these issues. Especially if its new hay and fresh veggies he's not used to. Go back to what worked for him before, skip the new stuff until he's healthy again. I will be dreadfully honest this sounds like a critical case and many of us have had those before. Prepare yourself for the worst, if you can afford a vet I would go to one ASP.
If he makes it wait until he's back in shape and the very slowly start mixing in the new stuff. And by slowly I mean over the course of minimum 2 weeks. When it's greens I always tell people the first 3 days only give 1 small leaf. Then maybe a big leaf a couple days and then 2 leaves for another couple days and so on.
I've lost my ETBunny before cause I forgot the cage I put him in had hay he wasnt used to. He stayed 1 night in that cage and then I tried all I could but couldnt save him T.T

The following user would like to thank KimitsuKouseki for this post
ipoGSD

Site Supporter
Female

Post Number:#3  Unread postby ipoGSD » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:18 pm

Ive been rubbing his belly all night. So far no poops. So strange because last night while he was sitting next to me on the couch (on an old blanket) he musta did like 30+ poops..

Right now, i have him on the living room floor trying to encourage movement. He is hopping around. Sometimes stopping so i kinda tickle his back side to get him to hop away.

We ordered critical care, its scheduled to be here today sometime before 8pm..

And trust me, if we had the money we would have already brought him to the vets, I work construction which is seasonal. so not much coming in from unemployment. On top of that, It's right after xmas and my cars water pump went the day after xmas. Its still in the shop, the bill is ridiculous for a friggen water pump (close to 800) and on top of that, our pellet stove broke so we had to charge a new one so my cc is maxed. When it rains it pours.

I am doing everything in my power. If i lose him.... if this was spring, summer or fall. id be at the ER vets right now :(

-- Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:50 am --

Back from the vets. They did an xray and subq. Sent me home with lactulose and said fresh pineapple juice and pieces. No pain meds or gut motility meds. I asked about both but the vet refused. Said if hes not eating it will cause liver failure.

Not sure how i feel about his advice. Hes not eating because his guts have stalled.. causing gas and pain. So its really a double edged sword..

Tho i can say he definitely has more pep im his step with the subq. He came home and started eating some lettuce that was in his cage.
All we can do now is hope he pulls thru...

-- Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:18 pm --

He did a few teeny poops about 20 minutes ago.. but thats it so far..

1 year of membership
Canada Female

Post Number:#4  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:53 pm

I'm glad you decided to take him to the vet. I agree with his decision to avoid those meds. You'd been giving him gas drops for a while now and while those can help, too much/too long of em can make things worse.

I hope he makes it.

ipoGSD

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 6,427.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby macksmom98 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:31 pm

I would pull everything and only give hay and old fashioned oats. And keep doing what you can for him, sounds like you are very aware of what is happening. The only thing I would pull back on is the lettuce. I have heard pineapple juice helps, but I wouldn't feed anything too fiberous to an animal with tummy trouble, especially a bunny. JMHO. Keep up the good work-pulling for him to do better!

The following user would like to thank macksmom98 for this post
ipoGSD

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 14,972.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby alforddm » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:04 pm

The pineapple is a very good suggestion. It contains enzymes that help to break down blockages but besides that I would do what macksmom98 suggested and give good fresh hay and old fashioned oats.

I've never actually tried this but some pineapple juice mixed with old fashioned oats as a slurry might be a good thing to try syringing. The pineapple juice will contain liquid and the enzymes and the oats will contain the fiber to hopefully get him moving again.

The following user would like to thank alforddm for this post
ipoGSD

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 3,080.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby a7736100 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:43 pm

I've had rabbits die after eating lettuce. I myself get terrible acid reflex if I eat iceberg lettuce. I even have trouble with romaine lettuce. While my GI is different than a rabbit's, there's probably something bad in lettuce.

The following user would like to thank a7736100 for this post
ipoGSD

Site Supporter
Female

Post Number:#8  Unread postby ipoGSD » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:10 pm

So far only a few more poops. Typical stasis looking ones.. he still wont eat on his own. Been giving critical care ad per vet instructions and his fresh pineapple juice and his 2nd dose of lactulose.

As for eating hay. He has always barely ate his hay. He does not like the pineapple juice but he doesnt have a choice cuz i make him drink the 2cc's of it.

As im typing this he is nudging my hand like hey, keep petting me!

1 year of membership
Canada Female

Post Number:#9  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:02 pm

If he's not used to it, it's better to not insist on hay. Sounds like he's still livelly in his own way, but a few poops is better then none

ipoGSD

Site Supporter
Female

Post Number:#10  Unread postby ipoGSD » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:13 am

Yeah he has definitely perked up a little, i have him on my lap with a blanket, he isnt interested in hopping away but he has been digging the blanket in an out. Which is more then he had been doing. And when i kiss him he is kissing me back more. This morning.. he wouldnt even do that. So these little things are giving me hope.

Still doing belly rubs and setting him on the floor walking behind him to keep him moving.

I plan on bringing him in tomorrow for more subq fluids, the fluids seemed to REALLY help perk him up. I wish i had the stuff to do it at home. (Note to self..order supplies)

Also I plan on asking the vet about pro biotics. I have some for my dog that i got from the vet. Its called proviable forte, 10 billion CFU. I dont know if this would be good for a bunny or not tho. But if so, i do have this on hand.

-- Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:13 am --

-----Update-----

Buster has been pooping!!! There's about 20 poops now!!! They are a decent size, round for the most part but pretty wet/sticky.

The bottle of lactulose says use until normal poops. But what if it skips the normal and goes to diarhrea? I plan on asking my vet that question tomorrow. Maybe he will have me lower the dose? No clue. But i do know diarhea is just as bad as stasis.. so i will be watching closely

So happy for poops!!!!!!!!

1 year of membership
Canada Female

Post Number:#11  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:38 am

Good knews, I'm glad things are looking up. Go with what your vet tells you for sure.

ipoGSD

Site Supporter

Post Number:#12  Unread postby alforddm » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:58 am

Probiotics can be good. Get the ones for horses if you can find them, their digestive track is the most similar to a rabbits, if not go for goat. So glad to hear he is doing better.

ipoGSD

1 year of membership
Canada Female

Post Number:#13  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:30 am

alforddm wrote:Probiotics can be good. Get the ones for horses if you can find them, their digestive track is the most similar to a rabbits, if not go for goat. So glad to hear he is doing better.

If what the vet told em is working, it's better to just continue with that. No reason to add other things that could throw the current progress out of balance.

Site Supporter

Post Number:#14  Unread postby alforddm » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:36 pm

I disagree. Some cases of GI Stasis can be the result of an imbalance in the gut bacteria. Since rabbits depend on their gut bacteria to do a large part of their digestion, adding the right type of bacteria can help get things working again. Don't go hog wild of course but a proper dose isn't going to hurt anything.

ipoGSD, MaggieJ

Site Admin
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 60,133.00

Post Number:#15  Unread postby MaggieJ » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:28 pm

I agree with you about the probiotics, Affordm. Used properly, they have turned a lot of rabbits around when their gut flora is out of balance.

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
ipoGSD

Next