Register

4 week old doe with swollen vent.

Diagnosing and treating rabbit ailments. *Caution! These threads may contain graphic content.*
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,636.00

4 week old doe with swollen vent.

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Ozarkansas » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:51 pm

So I have 4 week old litter of Beveren babies. 1 buck and 3 does. The runt is a doe and has bad pinched hindquarters. She will be culled anyway, but I was going to wait so we could get a meal out of her. Today I noticed she feels really skinny, I flipped her to make sure there are no signs of diarrhea. She is pleanty clean but her vent is really swollen and it seems to hurt her when I touch it. Does anyone know what would cause this in a 4 week old? Do y'all think I should cull now incase it's contagious? Thanks!

-- Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:51 pm --

Hard for me to get pics that show how bad it is, but here's one
2017-12-13 14.49.50.jpg
2017-12-13 14.49.50.jpg (133.24 KiB) Viewed 132 times
Ozarkansas Rabbit Farms
Raising quality purebred Americans, Beverens, Dutch, and Palominos for meat, show, and pet.
htpp://www.ozarkansasrabbits.com

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 9,692.00

Re: 4 week old doe with swollen vent.

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Homer » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:44 pm

It makes me think vent disease Ozark. Shot of Pen G once a week for 3 weeks would cure that up. (given sub-q by weight)

It could be urine scald but you said she was clean...Is the hutch dry and clean?
Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

http://bdbunnyranch.weebly.com/

The following user would like to thank Homer for this post
Ozarkansas

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Ozarkansas » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:04 pm

Thank you Homer! Yes she is very clean and dry. The hutch has an all wire floor, they still have a DRY nestbox. I considered giving her peniccillin already, but she weighs less than 2 lbs and she is a cull anyway so not sure if that would be worth it. Does anyone know how to even make sure so little medicine gets in the rabbit? When I did 10 lb rabbits they got a very small dose and always end up with a few drops on their fur. What are the chances of this spreading to her siblings are mother? Is it safe to have her with them? Also what causes it? I had an older Dutch buck with an extremely mild case just before she was born, but I was very careful to not let it spread to the other rabbits.
Ozarkansas Rabbit Farms
Raising quality purebred Americans, Beverens, Dutch, and Palominos for meat, show, and pet.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 21,162.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Marinea » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:36 am

If it is vent disease, know that it is very contagious. And in a kit that young, I would be very worried about losing it to diarrhea which often comes with pen G.

Considering it was/is a runt, has weight issues and now this, I would probably cull it now and keep a close eye on the other kits, the doe and the buck that fathered the litter.
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

The following user would like to thank Marinea for this post
Ozarkansas

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Ozarkansas » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:28 am

Today she is much better, though still a little swollen. Does anyone think it's possible one of her siblings bit her or something? Marinea, yes I should probably just cull her now, she is really cute but I have to cull her sooner or later because of the bad pinched hindquarters :|
Ozarkansas Rabbit Farms

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 9,692.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Homer » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:07 pm

Ozarkansas wrote:Today she is much better, though still a little swollen. Does anyone think it's possible one of her siblings bit her or something? Marinea, yes I should probably just cull her now, she is really cute but I have to cull her sooner or later because of the bad pinched hindquarters :|

It's possible but you should be able to see a bite mark. Maybe Mom stepped on her or something. :shrug:
Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

http://bdbunnyranch.weebly.com/

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Ozarkansas » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:31 am

Turns out it is an injury of some kind. The swelling has gone down dramatically, and there is a srcatch on her with a bit of blood on her fur this morning. I will continue to keep an eye on her, but I'm pretty sure it is nothing more than a scratch :) Thanks Everybunny!
Edit: can't spell srcatch :roll:
Last edited by Ozarkansas on Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ozarkansas Rabbit Farms

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 21,162.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Marinea » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:35 pm

It's strange to be thankful for an injury, but yay!
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

The following user would like to thank Marinea for this post
Ozarkansas