Register

Weird mites, what are they?

Diagnosing and treating rabbit ailments. *Caution! These threads may contain graphic content.*
Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 4,448.00

Weird mites, what are they?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby squidpop » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:48 am

One of my rabbits has mites that:
They are whitish, and Look smaller than a grain of salt, very tiny, I can only see them with two pairs of glasses on. ANd they crawl around really FAST in his fur.
His fur doesn't seem affected- there is no missing fur at all which is weird?
and his skin doesn't seem affected either- there is no flakeyness.

I looked at all sorts of pictures of fur mites, lice, ear mites, and mange and they don't look like any of them.

Does anyone know what they might be?

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,330.00

Re: Weird mites, what are they?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby shazza » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:15 pm

sounds like lice or mites. i don't usually worry about what type they are, just getting rid of them. sounds like your bunny needs a round of ivermectin
mini lop, standard rex, meat mutts
tumblr: @babbits | facebook: @frithyeer.rabbits | ig: @frithyeerfarm

The following user would like to thank shazza for this post
squidpop

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 34,905.00

Re: Weird mites, what are they?

Post Number:#3  Unread postby akane » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:56 pm

Staying very much on the rabbits? There are tons of not parasitic mites that love hay, grains, etc... Grain mites are little white pains in the rear with how they multiply but usually they require some moisture. Usually I got a type of red spider mite off the hay from my mom's land that irritated the skin of guinea pigs to the point one developed infection and ultimately died. This place has a ton of mites too. I have red ones, white ones, grey ones, black ones, larger ones, barely visible ones.... Stick my dirt behind glass and it's crazy. Luckily the parasitic ones are balanced by the predatory ones that eat other mites. So far the bird mites I recognize from having chickens have not infested my doves but the rodent mites sometimes I have to get extra predator mites to where the rodent mites have managed to make a concentration and I think my puppy is having problems with near invisible demodex mites that only attack immature immune systems. Yep, lots of mites out there. Best thing to do is watch their behavior, areas of concentration, and what they might be coming into the area on for clues of what they are actually living off of than try to visual ID from a description or all the pics online. Once you see some live ones moving around for yourself you can usually ID them later and keep track of what lives or travels on what.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
In order to save myself I must destroy first the me I was told to be -The Dreamer

The following user would like to thank akane for this post
squidpop