Register

Photos of rabbits in heat distress

Diagnosing and treating rabbit ailments. *Caution! These threads may contain graphic content.*
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 87,508.00

Photos of rabbits in heat distress

Post Number:#1  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Sat May 11, 2013 4:03 pm

It is 94F here today, and some of the rabbits are showing signs of heat distress. They have now been sprinkled down with the hose, but I snapped some quick photos so everyone will know what to look for.

Notice the upward tilt of the head, and the saliva on the mouth and chin:

IMG_0926.JPG
IMG_0926.JPG (601.14 KiB) Viewed 2452 times

Both the opal doe and the blue buck are in distress. Note how they are stretched out, and the upward tilt of their heads:

IMG_0927.JPG
IMG_0927.JPG (1016.89 KiB) Viewed 2452 times

Rabbits that die of heat stroke will have matted fur around the mouth and chin, sometimes extending far down the neck.
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

The following user would like to thank MamaSheepdog for this post
Cali, DitchDoc, Fire Ant Farm, HoneyTree, mountainrabbits, QuinnStarRanch

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 8,390.00

Re: Photos of rabbits in heat distress

Post Number:#2  Unread postby ottersatin » Sat May 11, 2013 4:30 pm

GREAT photos,
wish you didn't have the opportunity to take them.
I hope you saved the rabbit!
Ottersatin. :oldtimer:
Please visit my website: http://crescentvalley.webs.com/
Sign Guest book so I know you stopped by.
Thank you Dennis.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Post Number:#3  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Sat May 11, 2013 5:08 pm

They are feeling fine now, OtterSatin. :)

Here they are trying to get their fur back in order:

IMG_0935.JPG
IMG_0935.JPG (1.07 MiB) Viewed 2446 times
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

The following user would like to thank MamaSheepdog for this post
mountainrabbits, OwnedByTheBuns

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 290.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Hay Fever » Sat May 11, 2013 5:30 pm

That is one of the worst scenes to come out to. Last summer we found one of our bucks like that and thankfully got him to cool down. Now we use half gallon tea bottles for freezing so they last a bit longer .

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 12,182.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby AmysMacdog » Sat May 11, 2013 5:45 pm

Thank you MSD for starting this thread. I've been looking around on here for ideas on what to do this summer.
When mine get to hot I use a washcloth and a bucket of water and rub them down but the hose would probably be better and faster. How wet do you get them? They sure are grooming themselves after their shower! LOL

The lady I got my Americans from said she uses frozen gallon jugs and puts the jug inside their box to stay cool. I may try something like that. Don't have a big enough freezer. Wish I did! :)

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 56,208.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby MaggieJ » Sat May 11, 2013 5:52 pm

Great thread! Thanks, MSD!

We don't have major problems here, but I keep a spray bottle to mist the rabbits when it gets really hot. It might not be enough in warmer climates, but here a box fan and occasional misting keeps the buns cool enough.

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 56,195.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Miss M » Sat May 11, 2013 6:06 pm

GREAT pictures! Thank you for having the presence of mind to take them!

Our herd sire, Thumper the minilop, was found listless one day a few years ago. I do not remember if he had the saliva around his mouth, or if his head was up like that.

ILoveBunnies found him, and once we realized it was due to the heat, she remembered something that she had read in a book. She went and got two ice cubes, and pulled Thumper out and set him on her lap. She wrapped his ears around the ice cubes (since the ears are the radiators for the rabbit) until he perked up.

He was fine a short time later. :)

Glad you were able to rescue your bunnies! :clap:

Misting may not work as well in high humidity. Too much water in the air won't allow the water on the bunny to evaporate, which is what would cool it.
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

Post Number:#8  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Sat May 11, 2013 6:20 pm

Hay Fever wrote:That is one of the worst scenes to come out to.

Yes, it is. Thankfully these weren't too bad. I have seen their heads almost vertical. :o

AmysMacdog wrote:I've been looking around on here for ideas on what to do this summer.

Misting systems, fans, fabric draped on the cages which can be wet down, ceramic tiles, or better yet terra cotta tiles or pot saucers which can be pre-soaked, and boxes of wet sand are some of the ideas I have seen here on RT in addition to the frozen bottles already mentioned.

AmysMacdog wrote:How wet do you get them?

It depends on how hot it is and their level of distress. Someone mentioned that wetting Rex too much actually causes them to retain heat- I think if the water penetrates too deeply in the coat it starts to hold more body heat than is lost to evaporation. The most important thing is to get their ears wet.

Some people will submerse them in a bucket of tepid water. It is important not to change their temperature drastically, or they will go into shock and likely die.

MaggieJ wrote:Great thread! Thanks, MSD!

Thanks, Maggie! I try to offer constructive posts betwixt my bouts of silliness! :P

MaggieJ wrote:We don't have major problems here, but I keep a spray bottle to mist the rabbits when it gets really hot.

I need to get a misting nozzle. All of the ones we had eventually "died", so the rabbits are getting pretty wet with the sprinkler attachment I am using now.

Miss M wrote:GREAT pictures! Thank you for having the presence of mind to take them!

I wouldn't have taken the time if they had been in dangerous distress, but I am pretty familiar with this condition after last year.

Miss M wrote:She wrapped his ears around the ice cubes (since the ears are the radiators for the rabbit) until he perked up.

I remember that! Good job, ILB!

Miss M wrote:Misting may not work as well in high humidity. Too much water in the air won't allow the water on the bunny to evaporate, which is what would cool it.

Good point. Humidity is NOT a problem here. Sometimes it feels like you could toss a cup of water in the air and it would evaporate before hitting the ground!
Victory Garden Rabbits

BunnyBucks: 20,276.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Marinea » Sat May 11, 2013 7:37 pm

One of the reasons I LOVE this site is posts like this!

Thanks for the pics MSD. I would suggest a temporary sticky maybe, until we get through the summer heat. The time it might save someone from having to find it could make the difference.
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

BunnyBucks: 10,745.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby AnnClaire » Sun May 12, 2013 3:12 am

If you have the room and resources, I have found that my buns do much better in the runout pens than in their cages. I have moved them into them 24/7 now that it has warmed up and only cage them when it rains heavily.

I don't have any problem with cocci or other worms, and now that kitty Tuffy has grown up, between him, the fence and the dog, other roaming pets cannot get to the pens. My only issue is does ready to kindle ... they simply have to go in their cages, and that is when I lost the doe last week. However, her surviving kit is doing well and had it's eyes open at 7 days!
cheers - AnnClaire

Site Supporter
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,492.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby Beekeeper10 » Sun May 12, 2013 10:05 am

Thanks MSD. Great post
"You don't count how many times 'life' knocks you down. You count how many times you get up."
"Grumpy"

BunnyBucks: 2,317.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby lissapell » Sun May 12, 2013 10:58 am

Thanks for the pictures. Anything else we should be looking for?

BunnyBucks: 56,195.00

Post Number:#13  Unread postby Miss M » Sun May 12, 2013 1:23 pm

Marinea wrote:One of the reasons I LOVE this site is posts like this!

Thanks for the pics MSD. I would suggest a temporary sticky maybe, until we get through the summer heat. The time it might save someone from having to find it could make the difference.

I agree, with the summer coming on. I changed it. :)
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

BunnyBucks: 2,300.00

Post Number:#14  Unread postby jollysrabbits » Sun May 12, 2013 1:41 pm

I don't have any pictures, but I was talkng to the owner of a decent sized rabbittry (always listen to the older experienced people) and she said her husband and herself had a rather large setup and the electricity went out,mshe dunked the rabbits up to their ears in (keep nose and eyes clear) a bucket of water. And save %93 of her stock. She also said to use ice cubes on their ears (the ears help regulate temp). I got to test tnis theory out last year when my pup tore down the tarp creating shade, it fell against the cages creating an oven, out of 30 rabbits I only lost 2 and they were kits. These guys were on their death bed. It sucks but boy am I glad I spent the extra 20 minutes on the phone talking to that lady.

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 1,811.00

Post Number:#15  Unread postby zee » Sun May 12, 2013 1:43 pm

Great post! Thanks for sharing this MSD. Now I know what to look for. :)

Next