Register

Holland Lop Biting Suddenly

Site News, Announcements, Posting Guidelines and Introductions.
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 20.00

Holland Lop Biting Suddenly

Post Number:#1  Unread postby cherribaere » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:14 pm

I have a cuddly BEW. She was born on 4/2/2016. Suddenly she is biting. My 14yr old granddaughter scratched the floor and she hopped right over and bit her on the hand. Could it be she was afraid of the sound? Sugar has never bit me but she has bit my daughter's boyfriend and my granddaughter. She has bit my granddaughter multiple times. My daughter recently got a kitten. I have a Chinese Crested Powder Puff adult dog. Sugar and Oz seem to get along great. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time,

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 32,813.00

Re: Holland Lop Biting Suddenly

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Zass » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:47 pm

It sounds like she may simply be going through puberty, and experiencing some territorial instincts. Some rabbits are naturally more territorial than others, Getting her spayed may help.
The other thing that may be occurring is that someone may accidentally be training her to bite.

Responding positively to negative behaviors, like giving her whatever you feel she may want, or simply leaving her alone (if that is what she wants) can reward the behavior, and encourage further biting.

The following user would like to thank Zass for this post
cherribaere

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Post Number:#3  Unread postby cherribaere » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:32 pm

When I first got her she nipped and tugged at my clothes. I'll admit I didn't know what to do, so I treated her like I did my dog.. I would say, No Sugar No! Then offer her a toy. I believe for every No there should be a Yes. After about a week or two she stopped nipping at my clothes. She has never tried to bite me[except for my clothes]. She will allow me to carry her upstairs to her cage at night and back downstairs every morning without any kind of incident. She kicked really bad at first but tried to educate myself on how to properly carry her. I don't know about getting her spayed I may tell everyone to tough it out. Thank you for the advice.

Site Admin
11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,414.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby MaggieJ » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:34 pm

Welcome to RabbitTalk, cherribaere! :hi:

I'm posting a wonderful link about understanding rabbit behaviour and body language. Several members have had good results using the section on "Offendedness" to modify their rabbit's behaviour, biting in particular. As with everything about training pets (or kids) consistency is paramount.

Please do read this little ebook. It will help you with many rabbit behaviours that may seem incomprehensible to us poor humans. ;)

Good luck with your bunny! :good-luck:

http://language.rabbitspeak.com/
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
cherribaere, Zass

Post Number:#5  Unread postby cherribaere » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:38 pm

Thank you so much for the link. It is greatly appreciated.

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 56,231.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Miss M » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:35 am

It worked for me. post46743.html#p46743 :)
We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison