Register

Haven't even got my feet wet yet...

Site News, Announcements, Posting Guidelines and Introductions.
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 4,264.00

Haven't even got my feet wet yet...

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Nymphadora » Sat May 07, 2016 7:23 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm a new member to RT, and rabbits in general. In fact, I've never owned any before, and I still probably won't have any for another year. But I will.

About a year or 2 ago DH and I came across some articles about raising rabbits for meat in an effort to get away from hormone-treated meats in the grocery store. l had already drawn up about a hundred ideas for keeping chickens for meat and eggs, so the bunnies caught my eye. Especially when I read that they were very low in cholesterol, which is great, 'cause guess what?! :oops: :roll:

I come from a very... practical family. My dad's side of the family are all livestock farmers (mostly pigs, some milk cows, some sheep), and butchers. l grew up cuddling little hour-old piglets, and then munching on cured meat as I watched my uncle slaughter and butcher a big 'ole hog. Mind you, this was in Germany, where livestock is (in my opinion) generally better cared for, although our family just had small farms. And my husband's aunt raises chickens and is an expert gardener and canner (in the US). So raising animals to be something other than "pets" is not new to us, although I love my cat dearly.

I'm very excited to learn as much about rabbits as I can on this site, because I believe in doing research at nauseam before making any purchases or commitments. And also because we don't have space for bunnies yet, and this is a great way to live vicariously through others! :D Especially the Standard Rex owners or breeders here... I think I'm in love!

Thank you all for the wonderful source of information, I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as I plunge down the rabbit hole!
:)

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 857.00

Re: Haven't even got my feet wet yet...

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Winterwolf » Sat May 07, 2016 9:05 pm

Welcome to RabbitTalk!

:hi: :welcome:

Just giving you fair warning: rabbits are HIGHLY addicting. Once you start, there's no going back to a normal life. :D

Anyway, I wish you lots of luck in your future rabbit raising endeavor!
Misty Creek Rabbitry
Mini Lops and French Angoras
Northeast Kansas, USA
http://mistycreekrabbitry.weebly.com
https://www.facebook.com/MistyCreekRabbitry/

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 6,427.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby macksmom98 » Sat May 07, 2016 9:26 pm

Welcome! I agree that rabbits are addicting, and you have found a super friendly and helpful forum to help you as you star your journey! Keep us posted on your progress!

United States of America

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Nymphadora » Sat May 07, 2016 9:59 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome :D

I'm kind of counting on that "addiction," hence I'm planning a whole rabbitry based on meat rabbits, to guarantee me lots of cute babies in the future. DH thinks I'm a tad touched to want cute little baby buns to cuddle and still be stoked to send them to freezer camp. I've already promised I'll do the dispatching and butchering (a skill I am actually excited about expanding) and he'll just be helping keep them clean, well fed, and incredibly loved.

And when I get my little hoppers, I'll certainly be keeping everyone updated with lots of pictures! Photography is a major passion of mine :up:

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 21,202.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Marinea » Sun May 08, 2016 7:03 am

Welcome to RT!

Addicting? Nah...get a few, I dare you. You won't get addicted. :)
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

United States of America

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Nymphadora » Sun May 08, 2016 9:04 am

Marinea wrote:Welcome to RT!

Addicting? Nah...get a few, I dare you. You won't get addicted. :)

As soon as we have a place of our own! :yes:
Unfortunately our apartment right now is a bit anti-pet, and we're planning on moving soon, anyway. But as soon as we've settled down somewhere a bit more... :bouncy:

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 890.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Stephanie » Sun May 08, 2016 7:31 pm

Welcome to Rt, Nymphadora! I was like you 2 years ago. I was considering raising meat rabbits, but needed to learn more about it so I could do it successfully, and humanely. I finally got my rabbits last August. I have American Blues. I've had several litters, and I'm finally getting more proficient at processing them. And, I have 2 does due next Friday. I can relate to your ability to cuddle them and almost petify them as they grow up, and still be able to dispatch them. I do the same. However, I don't give names to anything but my breeders. The rest are simply called "Piggies". At this point, I've so incorporated my rabbits into my daily life that I even search neighbor's yards and along the sidewalks for edibles for my buns wherever I go. I'm always making mental notes such as "Oh, looky!! My buns would love some of that! I need to gather some to take home!" My daily schedule doesn't allow a great deal of time to spend with them during the week. So, I enjoy weekends, when I can sit with them a while and get to know them. You'll find they each have distinct personalities. Addicting? Really? Who knew? :lol:

United States of America

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Nymphadora » Sun May 08, 2016 11:18 pm

Stephanie wrote:Welcome to Rt, Nymphadora! I was like you 2 years ago. I was considering raising meat rabbits, but needed to learn more about it so I could do it successfully, and humanely. I finally got my rabbits last August. I have American Blues. I've had several litters, and I'm finally getting more proficient at processing them. And, I have 2 does due next Friday. I can relate to your ability to cuddle them and almost petify them as they grow up, and still be able to dispatch them. I do the same. However, I don't give names to anything but my breeders. The rest are simply called "Piggies". At this point, I've so incorporated my rabbits into my daily life that I even search neighbor's yards and along the sidewalks for edibles for my buns wherever I go. I'm always making mental notes such as "Oh, looky!! My buns would love some of that! I need to gather some to take home!" My daily schedule doesn't allow a great deal of time to spend with them during the week. So, I enjoy weekends, when I can sit with them a while and get to know them. You'll find they each have distinct personalities. Addicting? Really? Who knew? :lol:

"Piggies" :laugh2:
I find that incredibly fitting and ironic, because that's what I call my two fantail goldfish. They sure make a mess in their aquarium! I'm sure the little bunnies are just as roly poly and messy :aquarium:

What are the American Blues like? I've read a bit about them, but that rex fur calls to me (I sew on an advanced amateur level, as well as incorporate many textile crafts into my free time). But I still like hearing other people's opinions, and ya don't hear about Americans (rabbits) as often as other breeds.

I'm glad your rabbit journey has been so successful so far, I really hope we'll enjoy the same success! I'm so excited for rabbits, I wish I didn't have to wait... :allalone:

Please share some photos of those kits when they come Friday, I've been practically stalking the newborn litter thread :blush:

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 890.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Stephanie » Wed May 11, 2016 12:22 am

Nymphadora wrote:What are the American Blues like? I've read a bit about them, but that rex fur calls to me (I sew on an advanced amateur level, as well as incorporate many textile crafts into my free time). But I still like hearing other people's opinions, and ya don't hear about Americans (rabbits) as often as other breeds.

This is the only breed I've had, so I have nothing to compare them to. I bought them on CL from a woman in a neighboring city. She had gotten all set up to raise them for meat. But, after handling the kits from the first litter for a few months, she found she couldn't do the deed. I bought both her breeders and 4 of the juveniles. The juveniles were 2 females, 2 males. I decided to keep one male as a backup, and ate the other one. So, I now have 3 does and 2 bucks. The two original breeders were not accustomed to handling and took a while to get used to me. But, now they'll all readily accept treats from my hand, and occasionally they'll come forward for a head scratch. I can clean their cages without removing them and they don't get upset. They'll just move to the other side of the cage till I'm done. The does are great milkers and the kits always have full bellies. And the kits reach about 75 - 80 oz at 10 weeks. Largest litter was 13, smallest was 4. Most of the time, they kindle about 9.

Nymphadora wrote:Please share some photos of those kits when they come Friday, I've been practically stalking the newborn litter thread :blush:

I just put the nestboxes in this afternoon. I'll try to get pics in this Saturday or Sunday.

The following user would like to thank Stephanie for this post
Nymphadora

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,102.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby Oscar » Wed May 11, 2016 4:46 pm

So honestly don't enjoy the rexes. I have had mini and standard and they all where hard to get them to like me. I love the lops, partly because I'm want to just breed for pets and show, and brood stock for other people like me.

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 15,234.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby alforddm » Wed May 11, 2016 4:51 pm

I love my Rex. They are really sweet rabbits.

United States of America

Post Number:#12  Unread postby Nymphadora » Mon May 16, 2016 9:16 am

Oscar, I'm wondering if the temperament issues you had were just a part of the lines you were working with? If not, it's not so terrible for me anyways, as my bunnies would be primarily for meat (and I'm not overly fond of lops for that reason), but I'll definitely make a conscious effort to breed for temperament when I begin.

Alforddm, I'd be more than delighted to see any pictures of other people's cute rexes in my thread, as a way of living vicariously through you :mrgreen:

Site Supporter

Post Number:#13  Unread postby Winterwolf » Mon May 16, 2016 9:59 am

Nymphadora wrote:Oscar, I'm wondering if the temperament issues you had were just a part of the lines you were working with? If not, it's not so terrible for me anyways, as my bunnies would be primarily for meat (and I'm not overly fond of lops for that reason), but I'll definitely make a conscious effort to breed for temperament when I begin.

It was probably just the lines he was working with. One of my first rabbits was a rex and she was very sweet tempered. She did get sore hocks rather easily, so we had to keep a mat in her cage for her to lie on, but otherwise she was a wonderful bunny.
Misty Creek Rabbitry
Northeast Kansas, USA

United States of America

Post Number:#14  Unread postby Nymphadora » Mon May 16, 2016 11:06 pm

Winterwolf wrote:One of my first rabbits was a rex and she was very sweet tempered. She did get sore hocks rather easily, so we had to keep a mat in her cage for her to lie on, but otherwise she was a wonderful bunny.

I've read that rexes tend to develop store hocks rather easier than other breeds. Is it mostly a genetic thing then? Something to keep in mind when buying bunnies, for sure if that's the case...

And does it matter what the platform for them is made of when they do get sore hocks? I've seen people mention ceramic plates or wooden sections... I'm guessing rubber or something like that would get nibbled on and is deemed unhealthy? Suppose ceramic would be easiest to wash. Sorry if I'm rambling a bit :oops: Do you think having half of the cage floor covered by wood or ceramic might be a good idea for rexes given the high possibility of sore hocks? Would they learn to mostly poop over the non-covered side, you think?

So many questions... feel free to answer just one, or all, or whatever you want! :oops:

Site Supporter

Post Number:#15  Unread postby Winterwolf » Tue May 17, 2016 6:20 am

Nymphadora wrote:I've read that rexes tend to develop store hocks rather easier than other breeds. Is it mostly a genetic thing then?

Hmm, never considered genetics :hmm: I've always assumed that it was because of the the pads on their feet being thinner than other breeds. Of course, you could always breed for thicker feet pads -- as long as the breed standard allows it... Definitely something to look into.

Nymphadora wrote:And does it matter what the platform for them is made of when they do get sore hocks?

We used a grass mat from Petsmart so it would be safe in case she decided to chew it. But I've heard a lot of Rex breeders recommend ceramic tiles, and I'd trust their opinion on this since they obviously have a lot more experience with the breed than I do. If it gets hot where you live, the ceramic tile could double as a cooling pad for your buns. 8)

Nymphadora wrote:Do you think having half of the cage floor covered by wood or ceramic might be a good idea for rexes given the high possibility of sore hocks? Would they learn to mostly poop over the non-covered side, you think?

Hmm, I'd be hesitant in covering half the floor with wood; the wood can soak up urine and cause all sorts of problems. I suppose with enough patience you could teach them to use the wire part (after all, rabbits are fairly easy to litter box train) but I have no personal experience with teaching them to use only one half of the cage, so I don't know for sure. One thing I'd better warn you about is that your rabbits are most likely to want to lie on the covered half of the cage... meaning that they'll probably just poop right there without wanting to get up and move across the cage first.

So many questions... feel free to answer just one, or all, or whatever you want! :oops:

I've only been a member of this site since last month and I've been asking questions nonstop! After almost eight years of rabbit raising craziness, one thing I've definitely learned is that there's ALWAYS more to learn. That's why I love RabbitTalk so much, you can gather opinions and advice from dozens of different breeders. So, actually, I'd recommend getting a rex breeder's advice on these questions before making any decisions.

Anyway, hope this helped somewhat. :book: Good luck with your bunnies! :)
Misty Creek Rabbitry
Northeast Kansas, USA

The following user would like to thank Winterwolf for this post
Nymphadora

Next