Register

HELP!! My bunny is shedding to much fur??

Site News, Announcements, Posting Guidelines and Introductions.
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 181.00

HELP!! My bunny is shedding to much fur??

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Jackiibunny » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:34 pm

I have a female rabbit who is little over 2 years old. I got her in November of 2014, & she has had 3 litters (all unexpected) we kept 2 rabbits from the litters which are both female as well. Lately I have noticed mama losing more fur than she normally goes. She is a thick haired, all white rabbit, with some black circles around her eye. The only reason I've noticed is her fur is very very thin when I pet her & when I look at her, her whole body seems more pink (like her skin is showing through). Also, her fur around her tail & feel is much much more thicker than the rest of her body. The best way to describe it is it looks like a turtle shell of hair loss. The 3 rabbits all sleep in one cage (a good size of I've bought from petco) & they do sometimes hump each other & pull fur, but the babies (who are a little over a year old) don't have nearly as much hair loss. Is this a problem caused by an over crowded cage? Or is this normal when she sheds? I've just never seen her shed this much.

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 34,536.00

Re: HELP!! My bunny is shedding to much fur??

Post Number:#2  Unread postby ladysown » Mon May 02, 2016 12:48 pm

She is most likely the bottom of the pack Rabbit. I would pull her out. Give her solitary digs where she isn't picked on.
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 10,884.00

Re: HELP!! My bunny is shedding to much fur??

Post Number:#3  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Mon May 02, 2016 1:19 pm

Either that or there are some fur mites... I had one that came in with them and it started around the shoulders, just behind the neck, and started spreading.
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...