Register

Hello All-First Post-New Member Here...

Site News, Announcements, Posting Guidelines and Introductions.
Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 20.00

Hello All-First Post-New Member Here...

Post Number:#1  Unread postby longshadow » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:22 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm here to learn about rabbits. After some research this seems to be the BEST site for backyard rabbit raising. In my youth my Grandmother raised Dutch rabbits for meat... until our local raccoon's learned that cheap hardware cloth makes for easy pickings :(

I'm going to purchase some breeding stock soon (just a couple of pairs to start) as I would like to produce meat (and fertilizer for our trees and garden). Right now I am looking for some meat rabbits that are somewhat heat tolerant. I had thought about Florida Whites or NZ Whites?

I used to help a friend with his hutches on the TX Gulf Coast. His daughter raised 4-H show rabbits and he raised American Blue's for meat. The Americans did OK with the heat and humidity. He kept them shaded and on really hot days he would put frozen plastic drink bottles in each cage to help his rabbits stay cool. BTW Hurricane Rita destroyed his hutches... Perhaps I should consider American's too for my needs? They were rather tasty and didn't bite unlike my late Grandmothers Dutch Bucks tended to do ;)

FYI I was diagnosed with Dual Macular Degeneration last year and I have been having auto-immune problems for the last 10yrs. Right now one doctor thinks I have I have MD and another thinks I simply have MS :popcorn: I'll begin definitive tests soon so it is time for a new "hobby"- hence I'm here to learn from you experts.

If anyone has any suggestions for heat tolerant meat breeds I WOULD & DO appreciate your suggestions and expertise.

Thanks,

BJ
(Joplin, MO/4-State Area)
BJ near Joplin, MO

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 21,202.00

Re: Hello All-First Post-New Member Here...

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Marinea » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:03 pm

Welcome to RT!

As far as heat tolerance, I would suggest you simply look at local breeders having success in your area. Regardless of the breed, if the rabbits are doing well in your local area, they should do well for you.

And you're right about RT, it IS the best.
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:16 pm

Hi Longshadow!

:welcomewagon:

Welcome to RabbitTalk!

I was going to say the same thing as Marinea- find breeders in your area that house their rabbits in a similar manner as to you are planning to- in other words, don't buy rabbits that are kept in a climate controlled area.

longshadow wrote:on really hot days he would put frozen plastic drink bottles in each cage

A lot of people will do that or set up a misting system if they live in an area of low humidity.

When I first started raising rabbits I would freeze bottles for them, but then I decided to breed for heat tolerance instead. The most I ever do now is to wet the dirt down under and around the cages on the very hottest days.
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,212.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Homer » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:58 am

Welcome BJ! Image You found a great site if you have any questions about the bunny business. Guaranteed someone here has "seen that , done that".

We have a member here, Grumpy, that is a bit north of you that is into meet rabbits you might try to PM about stock. He is in the Plattsburg, MO area. Look at his profile and you can look up his posts. Haven't seen him post much lately though.
Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 15,234.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby alforddm » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:35 am

Welcome!

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 20.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby longshadow » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:37 pm

Hi All,

Alforddm- Thanks!

Homer- I will get in touch with Grumpy- Thanks!

Marinea- I will look for local rabbits/breeders- Thanks!

MamaSheepdog- I will look for heat-tolerant strains and breed for the heat- Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions/advice. It IS much appreciated :)
BJ near Joplin, MO

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 578.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Dwc77 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:19 pm

Welcome aboard longshadow! I don't think there is really a heat tolerant rabbit out there they all suffer in extreme heat. Make sure they have shade, water, some breeze or a fan when needed. Been through old Joplin Mo. Always think of that tornado they had a few years back. Brother even drove down with supplies from our church. Good luck in all your rabbit adventures. I vote nzw because my rabbits are NZW-ish :lol:

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 6,353.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby EnglishSpot » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:21 pm

Welcome to RT, longshadow!!!
"Not doing anything is still making a choice."

Check out my rabbitry! http://www.facebook.com/SoaringGooseRabbits/

New Blog: https://soaringgooserabbits.wordpress.com/

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 6,427.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby macksmom98 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:54 pm

I think that when living in a certain climate a while, breeds tend to acclimate and do well in their environment. I suppose some would say this is breeding for heat tolerance, but I agree that you just find good stock that does well in your area. We live on the gulf coast and my daughter was born during Hurricane Rita, and I have heard the stories of some of the animals and their homes that went thru that!